Calculating Wavelength in Water for Electromagnetic Radiation

• Thread starter chibi_lenne
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is discussing the calculation of the wavelength of an electromagnetic radiation in water. The individual has done the work for the problem and has found a wavelength of 600nm, but is unsure if this is the correct formula to use. They mention the index of refraction and ask for help. The response confirms their calculation is correct and reminds them that the wavelength is always longest in a vacuum and shorter in a medium. The conversation ends with gratitude for the clarification.
chibi_lenne
Seriously, if I didn't need physics I probably wouldn't take it.I've don the work for this one problem, but then I'm not sure if it's the right formula for what I need. Here's what I have so far(the parts in bold are the work I've done)

10. An electromagnetic radiation has a frequency of 5.00 x 10^14Hz.
b) Calculate its wavelength in water.

Given: wavelength = 0.6 x 10^-6m or 600nm
n = 1.33 for water​
Required: wavelength(med)
Analysis: c=(f)(wavelength{vac}) and c=(n)(wavelength{med})

therefore wavelength(vac) = (n)(wavelength{med}) and​
wavelength(med) = wavelength(vac)/n​
Solution: wavelength(med) = (0.6 x 10^-6m)/1.33
= 4.51 x 10^-7 or 451 nm​
Now I get looking at this and I'm not sure if that's exactly how I go about doing this or if this is what I'm supposed to do for finding the index of refraction (which comes later) Please help, my brain is fried.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. Remember, the wavelength of any frequency of light is always longest in a vacuum, shorter in a medium. Frequecy of the light stays constant.

Yay, thanks so much that was just driving me nuts

Related to Calculating Wavelength in Water for Electromagnetic Radiation

1. What is "Needing help again ~_~"?

"Needing help again ~_~" is a phrase that is often used to express a feeling of needing assistance or support with a task or problem. It is a common way for people to reach out for help or express their frustration with a difficult situation.

2. Why do people use the phrase "Needing help again ~_~"?

People may use this phrase because it is a relatable and lighthearted way to express a need for help. It can also show vulnerability and a willingness to seek support from others.

3. Is "Needing help again ~_~" a serious request for help?

Not necessarily. While it can be used as a genuine request for assistance, it is often used in a joking or lighthearted manner. However, if someone is consistently using this phrase and seems to genuinely need help, it may be worth checking in and offering support.

4. Can "Needing help again ~_~" be used in a professional setting?

It depends on the context and the workplace culture. In some professional settings, this phrase may be seen as unprofessional or inappropriate. It is important to use discretion and consider the tone and audience before using this phrase in a professional setting.

5. Are there other phrases that can be used instead of "Needing help again ~_~"?

Yes, there are many other phrases that can be used to express a need for help or assistance. Some examples include "Can you lend a hand?", "I could use some help", or "I'm struggling, can you help me out?" It is important to use language that is appropriate and comfortable for you and those around you.