Calculating Volume of Solid Revolution around x = 1

In summary, to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by y = 2x - x^2 and y = x about the line x = 1, you can use either the disk or cylindrical shells method. When using the cylindrical shells method, the equation for the volume of each shell is 2\pi(1-x)((2x-x^2)-x)\delta x. The integral of this equation will give the final volume.
ultima9999
Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by [tex]y = 2x - x^2[/tex] and y = x about the line x = 1

Ok, so I can solve this if it were revolved around the y-axis, it would be: [tex]\pi \int_0^1 (x)^2 - (2x - x^2)^2 dy[/tex]

If I have to revolve it around x = 1, what do I need to change with the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
ultima9999 said:
Ok, so I can solve this if it were revolved around the y-axis, it would be: [tex]\pi \int_0^1 (x)^2 - (2x - x^2)^2 dy[/tex]

If I have to revolve it around x = 1, what do I need to change with the equation?
If you cut up the region into horizontal slabs, you need the horizontal distance of either curve to the axis of rotation as a function of y.

If you rotate around the y-axis, you are right to integrate wrt y (though you could also do it wrt x, using cylindrical shells instead of horizontal slabs), but then you need to write the distance as a function of y. (2x-x^2) is the vertical distance from the left curve to the x-axis, as a function of x, that's not what you're looking for.

ultima9999 said:
Shift the axis - ie. replace x with x-1: remembering to do (x-1)^2 etc.

Oh, sorry about that typo. If revolving around the y-axis it would be:
[tex]\pi \int_0^1 (y)^2 - (\sqrt{1 - y} +1)^2 dy[/tex].

So the answer when integrating with respect to y and revolved around x = 1 would be the same if I integrated with respect to x and replaced x with x-1?

If you can visualize dividing the area in slabs (make a picture), it's clear that the distance of a point on the left curve to the line x=1 is 1-f(y), where f(y) is simply the x coordinate of the point at height y. You should thus solve y=2x-x^2 for x in terms of y (you'll get 2 answers, take a look at the picture to see which one you should take). That'll be the outer radius, the inner radius from the line x=y is easy.

Yeah - sketch it out.

Am I having a completely Friday brain-drain moment here, or should the line y=x around x=1 become the consideration of the line y=x+1 (+ not -) etc.

(You can also work the volume by cylindrical shells which allows differentiation w.r.t. x and an easy rotation about given x.)

Ok, using cylindrical shells method, will my equation be:
[tex]2\pi \int_0^1 (x - 1) (x - x^2) dx[/tex]

Looks good to me.

Alright, I did that and I get [tex]V = 2\pi \left[\frac{2}{3}x^3 - \frac{1}{4}x^4 - \frac{1}{2}x^2\right]_{0}^{1}[/tex]
Then when I put in 1 and 0, my final volume is a negative value...

[tex]y = (x)^2 - (2x - x^2)^2[/tex]

Right?

Then shouldn't it be,

[tex]-2\pi \int_0^1 (1 - x)(x^2 - (2x - x^2)^2) dx[/tex]

The negative at the front is due to the fact that when sketched, this function goes in the negative direction. Since you can't have a negative height, the height has to be the opposite of y.

Last edited:
Sorry for being a bit vague on Friday, end of week and all...

Hopefully, this will be better.

Firstly, from post above, using cylindrical shells, you don't square the y's.

In the OP example, it looks like the volume of a shell will be:

[tex]2\pi(1-x)y\delta x=2\pi(1-x)((2x-x^2)-x)\delta x[/tex]

I graphed the curves and I think this is the correct order.

Integrate over this for result...

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Volume of Solid Revolution around x = 1

1. What is a volume of solid revolution?

A volume of solid revolution is a three-dimensional figure created by rotating a two-dimensional shape, such as a circle, around a given axis. The resulting solid has a circular cross-section at every point along its length.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a solid revolution?

The volume of a solid revolution can be calculated using the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2dx, where f(x) is the function describing the shape being rotated and the integral is taken over the desired interval of rotation. This formula is known as the disk method.

3. What is the difference between the disk method and the shell method?

The disk method and the shell method are two different techniques for calculating the volume of a solid revolution. The disk method involves slicing the solid perpendicular to the axis of rotation and summing the volumes of the resulting disks, while the shell method involves slicing the solid parallel to the axis of rotation and summing the volumes of the resulting cylindrical shells.

4. Can the volume of a solid revolution be negative?

No, the volume of a solid revolution cannot be negative. The volume represents the amount of space occupied by the solid, and by definition, space cannot have a negative value.

5. What are some real-world applications of volumes of solid revolution?

Volumes of solid revolution have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a wine barrel, determining the amount of material needed to create a curved sculpture, and finding the volume of a water tank. These calculations are also used in engineering and architecture for designing structures with curved or cylindrical components.