Calculating Volume of Revolution: Solving for Unknowns Using Equations

In summary: Ah, I think I worded it poorly. What I meant was this:$$\int_0^1 \left(1+\frac{1}{4x^2+1}\right)^2\,dx=1.60675$$And I feel delsoo did some mistake while evaluating the above definite integral.
delsoo
DSC_0138~3[1].jpg

DSC_0139~2[1].jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/69284

Homework Statement

i have done the part a, for b , i use the key in the (circled part equation ) into calculator .. my ans is also different form the ans given. is my concept correct by the way?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0140~2.jpg
    DSC_0140~2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One obvious point is that you are missing a factor of "[itex]\pi[/itex]". The area of a circle is [itex]\pi r^2= \pi y^2[/itex].

after adding pi, my ans is 2.80... the ans is 5.047746784, which part is wrong?

It would be a good idea here to use vertical line segments, otherwise you're going to have to set up multiple integrals. So leave everything as ##y(x)##, then:

##r_{in} = 0##
##r_{out} = 1 + \frac{1}{4x^2 + 1}##
##height = dx##

##dV = 2\pi(\frac{r_{in} + r_{out}}{2})(r_{out} - r_{in})(height)##

Integrating the volume element should give you the answer you want.

delsoo said:
after adding pi, my ans is 2.80... the ans is 5.047746784, which part is wrong?

delsoo, your method is fine and I seem to get the same definite integral as you (which gives the correct answer too). The definite integral you have to evaluate is:

$$\pi\int_0^{1/2} \left(1+\frac{1}{4x^2+1}\right)^2\,dx$$

If you drop the factor of ##\pi##, you should get 1.60675.

Use the substitution ##2x=\tan\theta## to make things easier.

Pranav-Arora said:
delsoo, your method is fine and I seem to get the same definite integral as you (which gives the correct answer too). The definite integral you have to evaluate is:

$$\pi\int_0^{1/2} \left(1+\frac{1}{4x^2+1}\right)^2\,dx$$

If you drop the factor of ##\pi##, you should get 1.60675.

Erm this is misleading.

The answer is indeed 5.04775 complements of wolfram:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+2pi%28+%281%2B+1%2F%284x^2%2B1%29%29%2F2+%29%281%2B+1%2F%284x^2%2B1%29%29+from+0+to+1%2F2

Zondrina said:
Erm this is misleading.

Can you please explain to me how my statements are misleading? :)

Pranav-Arora said:
Can you please explain to me how my statements are misleading? :)

Your integrand is fine, it's just the answer you got I was worried about.

Zondrina said:
Your integrand is fine, it's just the answer you got I was worried about.

I must be missing something but what is the problem with the answer I wrote? Are you talking about "1.60675"? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
I must be missing something but what is the problem with the answer I wrote? Are you talking about "1.60675"? :confused:

Yeah I wasn't sure why you wrote that.

Zondrina said:
Yeah I wasn't sure why you wrote that.

Ah, I think I worded it poorly. What I meant was this:
$$\int_0^1 \left(1+\frac{1}{4x^2+1}\right)^2\,dx=1.60675$$
And I feel delsoo did some mistake while evaluating the above definite integral.

Related to Calculating Volume of Revolution: Solving for Unknowns Using Equations

1. How do you calculate the volume of revolution using equations?

The volume of revolution is calculated by using the formula V = ∫ A(x)dx, where A(x) represents the cross-sectional area of the shape at each point along the x-axis. The bounds of integration are determined by the limits of the shape being revolved.

2. What is the difference between using the disk method and the shell method for calculating volume of revolution?

The disk method involves slicing the shape into thin disks and summing their volumes, while the shell method involves summing the volumes of cylindrical shells. The method used depends on the shape and orientation of the axis of revolution.

3. How do you handle unknown variables when calculating volume of revolution?

If the equation for the shape being revolved includes unknown variables, they can be solved for using algebraic manipulation. Once the equation is in terms of a single variable, it can be integrated to find the volume.

4. Can the volume of revolution be negative?

No, the volume of revolution is always a positive value. A negative value would indicate that the shape has a negative volume, which is not possible.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating volume of revolution?

The volume of revolution is commonly used in engineering and construction to determine the volume of irregularly shaped objects such as pipes, tanks, and silos. It is also used in physics to calculate the moment of inertia of rotating objects.