Calculating Voltage Across Capacitors in Series and Parallel Configurations

In summary, the 10.3-microF capacitor would have a voltage of 10.3 µC across it, and the 7.38-microF capacitor would have a voltage of 7.38 µC across it.
rave7
A 2.41microF and a 7.38microF capacitor are connected in series across a 30.0-V battery. A 10.3microF capacitor is then connected in parallel across the 2.41-microF capacitor. Determine the voltage across the 10.3-microF capacitor.

How do i approach this question. do i start by finding the total energy produced by the capacitors? since E=1/2 CV^2 . But how do i find voltage across the 7.38microF capacitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
rave7 said:
A 2.41microF and a 7.38microF capacitor are connected in series across a 30.0-V battery. A 10.3microF capacitor is then connected in parallel across the 2.41-microF capacitor. Determine the voltage across the 10.3-microF capacitor.

How do i approach this question. do i start by finding the total energy produced by the capacitors? since E=1/2 CV^2 . But how do i find voltage across the 7.38microF capacitor?

Figure first the equivalent capacitance in the network including the new capacitor. Then you can determine the voltage straight away across the parallel capacitors. The relationship you need for voltage is V = Q/C.

Welcome to PF!

LowlyPion said:
Figure first the equivalent capacitance in the network including the new capacitor. Then you can determine the voltage straight away across the parallel capacitors. The relationship you need for voltage is V = Q/C.

Hi rave7! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a squared: ² :smile:)

I'll just add this to what LowlyPion says …

never use energy of capacitors if you can avoid it! :cry:

and remember that Q will be the same on the parallel pair as on the single (7.8µF) one. :smile:

the equivalent capacitance are worked out as shown:
10.3 + 2.41 = 12.71
(1/12.71) + (1/7.38) = 1/(Ceqv)
my equivalent capacitance will be approximate 4.67 µF

Since Q = CV, i can find the total Q in this circuit.
Q = 4.67 * 30 = 140 µC

After that, how do i determine the voltage across the 10.3µF capacitor, the Q flowing into the parallel branch to the resistors are they the same or different. abit confused. can i use the method of current divider to determine the q flowing into the resistors in the parallel branch?

rave7 said:
the equivalent capacitance are worked out as shown:
10.3 + 2.41 = 12.71
(1/12.71) + (1/7.38) = 1/(Ceqv)
my equivalent capacitance will be approximate 4.67 µF

Since Q = CV, i can find the total Q in this circuit.
Q = 4.67 * 30 = 140 µC

Hi rave7! :smile:

Yes, that's fine. :smile:
the Q flowing into the parallel branch to the resistors are they the same or different.

(what resistors? i assume you mean capacitors? :confused:)

Remember, the voltage across a capacitor is the same as the voltage between any two points containing the capacitor and without anything else (in series).

So the voltage across either capacitor is the same as, for example, the voltage between the two points where their connecting wires meet … in other words, voltage across capacitors in parallel are always the same (just as charge across capacitors in series are always the same). :smile:
After that, how do i determine the voltage across the 10.3µF capacitor, …
abit confused. can i use the method of current divider to determine the q flowing into the resistors in the parallel branch?

The total voltage drop has to be 30.

Either treat the parallel capacitors as one, or caclulate the voltage drop across the 7.38 µF, and subtract from 30. :smile:

thanks for those who had replied to this thread. i have managed to get the solutions.

Best regards.

Related to Calculating Voltage Across Capacitors in Series and Parallel Configurations

1. How is the voltage across capacitors calculated?

The voltage across capacitors is calculated by dividing the charge stored on the capacitor by its capacitance.

2. What is the relationship between voltage and capacitance in a capacitor?

The relationship between voltage and capacitance in a capacitor is inversely proportional. This means that as the capacitance increases, the voltage decreases.

3. Can the voltage across capacitors be negative?

Yes, the voltage across capacitors can be negative. This occurs when the polarity of the capacitor is reversed, causing the voltage to be negative in relation to the reference point.

4. How does the voltage across capacitors change in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage across capacitors is divided between the capacitors. This means that the voltage across each capacitor will be lower than the total voltage of the circuit.

5. What happens to the voltage across capacitors when they are connected in parallel?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the voltage across each capacitor will be the same as the voltage of the circuit. This is because the voltage is shared across the capacitors, resulting in equal voltages.