Calculating Vertical Deflection of Electron in Parallel Plate Setup

In summary, the conversation discusses an electron passing through two horizontal parallel plates with a velocity of 3.00x10^6m/s and an electric field of 120N/C. The plates are 4.0cm across and edge effects are negligible. The question asks for the vertical deflection of the electron, which can be determined by finding the force and resulting acceleration on the electron while it is between the plates. The equation \epsilon=\frac{kq}{r^2} is not relevant in this scenario.
XJellieBX
Physics Diagram.jpg

Question:
An electron with a velocity of 3.00x10^6m/s[horizontally] passes through two horizontal parallel plates, as in the attached diagram. The magnitude of the electric field between the plates is 120N/C. The plates are 4.0cm across. Edge effects are negligible.
a) Calculate the vertical deflection of the electron.

I'm not sure what I should do here and I would appreciate any help. I think it might be [tex]\epsilon[/tex]=[tex]\frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex], but I'm not exactly sure. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the force on the electron while it's between the plates? The resulting acceleration? How long does it spend between the plates?
XJellieBX said:
I think it might be [tex]\epsilon[/tex]=[tex]\frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex], but I'm not exactly sure.
That's an equation for the field from a point charge, which is not relevant here. You are given the field, so find the force.

I can provide a response to the content and guide you through the process of calculating the vertical deflection of the electron in this parallel plate setup.

First, let's start by identifying the relevant variables and equations. The variables we have are the electron's velocity (3.00x10^6m/s), the electric field (120N/C), and the distance between the plates (4.0cm). The equation we will use is F=qE, where F is the force on the electron, q is the charge of the electron, and E is the electric field.

To calculate the vertical deflection, we need to find the force on the electron in the vertical direction. Since the electric field is in the horizontal direction, there will be no vertical force from the electric field. However, there will be a vertical force due to the electron's motion, which we can calculate using the equation F=ma, where m is the mass of the electron and a is the acceleration in the vertical direction.

To find the acceleration, we can use the equation a=v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the electron and r is the radius of the circular path it will follow due to the vertical force. In this case, the radius is equal to the distance between the plates (4.0cm).

Now, we can plug in all the values we have into the equations. The charge of an electron is 1.6x10^-19 C, and the mass is 9.11x10^-31 kg. So, the force on the electron in the vertical direction is:

F= (1.6x10^-19 C)(3.00x10^6 m/s)^2/4.0x10^-2 m
= 1.44x10^-13 N

Next, we can use this force to calculate the acceleration in the vertical direction:

a= 1.44x10^-13 N/9.11x10^-31 kg
= 1.58x10^17 m/s^2

Finally, we can use the equation for vertical deflection, d=1/2at^2, where d is the vertical deflection, a is the acceleration, and t is the time it takes for the electron to pass between the plates. Since the plates are 4.0cm across and the electron is traveling at 3.00x10^6 m/s, it

Related to Calculating Vertical Deflection of Electron in Parallel Plate Setup

1. What is the formula for calculating the vertical deflection of an electron in a parallel plate setup?

The formula for calculating the vertical deflection of an electron in a parallel plate setup is given by F = Eq, where F is the force acting on the electron, E is the electric field strength, and q is the charge of the electron.

2. How do I determine the electric field strength in a parallel plate setup?

The electric field strength in a parallel plate setup can be determined by dividing the voltage difference between the plates by the distance between the plates. This can be represented by the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the voltage difference, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. How does the distance between the plates affect the vertical deflection of the electron?

The distance between the plates directly affects the electric field strength, which in turn affects the vertical deflection of the electron. As the distance between the plates increases, the electric field strength decreases, resulting in a smaller deflection of the electron.

4. Can the vertical deflection of an electron be negative in a parallel plate setup?

Yes, the vertical deflection of an electron can be negative in a parallel plate setup. This would occur if the electron has a negative charge and is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field, resulting in a force in the opposite direction and a negative deflection.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculation for the vertical deflection of the electron?

The accuracy of the calculation for the vertical deflection of the electron can be affected by several factors, including the precision of the electric field strength measurement, any external magnetic fields present, and the accuracy of the equipment used to measure the voltage difference and distance between the plates.