Calculating Velocity with Accelerometer & Pitch for Robot Positioning

In summary, the user is trying to use an Ocean server 4000 compass/accelerometer to track the position of a robot, but is having trouble with the velocity readings not ending at 0 and the pitch changing. They have tried various calculations, but none have given them accurate results. They are seeking help in converting the coordinates to "world" coordinates to properly account for the changing angle readings. Two articles on Euler Angles and Rotation Matrix have been recommended to help with this issue.
erickulcyk
Hello, I have an Ocean server 4000 compass/accelerometer, and I am trying to use it to gauge the position of a robot on which it is placed. I get Ax, Ay, Az, pitch, roll, and heading as the output currently. I also have the accelerometer set to do a moving average of 16 readings. I did a simple experiment where I moved the robot forward in roughly the direction and stopped it. When I calculate the velocity straight from the Ax readings, the velocity doesn't end at 0 like it should (I brought the robot to stop for several seconds at the end). Furthermore the resting Ax at the start is different then at the end. The pitch has also changed though. In fact, the Ax values followed the pitch very well. I think there must be a relation to get the true x value given the two. I have tried Ax-pitch, Ax+pitch, Ax-sin(pitch), Ax+sin(pitch), √(Ax^2-sin(pitch)^2), however non of these gives me a velocity of close to 0 at the end. Can you help me out?

Thanks,
Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if angle readings change throughout, you have to take it into account. There is no simple formula, though. You need to convert Ax, Ay, Az in local coordinates to Ax, Ay, Az in "world" coordinates. The later can be arbitrary, but they need to be fixed. These two articles might help you get started.

Euler Angles
Rotation Matrix

Related to Calculating Velocity with Accelerometer & Pitch for Robot Positioning

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is an electronic sensor that measures acceleration forces, such as the force of gravity, on an object. It works by measuring changes in the electrical capacitance or resistance within the sensor caused by movement.

2. How is velocity calculated using an accelerometer?

Velocity can be calculated using an accelerometer by integrating the acceleration data over time. This means taking the sum of all the acceleration values at different time intervals to determine the change in velocity over a specific period of time.

3. What is pitch and how is it used in robot positioning?

Pitch is the angle at which an object is tilted or rotated. In robot positioning, pitch is used to determine the orientation of the robot in relation to its surroundings. By combining pitch data from an accelerometer with other sensor data, the robot's position and movement can be accurately tracked.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of velocity calculations using an accelerometer?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of velocity calculations using an accelerometer, such as noise and interference from other electronic components, variations in temperature, and calibration errors. Additionally, the orientation and placement of the accelerometer on the robot can also impact the accuracy of the velocity calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using an accelerometer for robot positioning?

While accelerometers can be a useful tool for robot positioning, there are some limitations to consider. For example, accelerometers can only measure changes in velocity and cannot provide absolute position data. They are also susceptible to errors and may require frequent calibration to maintain accuracy.