Calculate velocity components x,y and z

In summary, the conversation focused on calculating velocity components in a 3D environment based on a velocity value and two angles (yaw and pitch). The use of spherical coordinates and their relationship to the x, y, and z axes was discussed, as well as the possibility of using components instead. The individual also expressed a desire to create a program for throwing a ball using these calculations.
Redweasel
Hello,

I want to calculate the velocity components x, y and z based on a velocity value and two angles (yaw along the z-axis and pitch).

I know how to calculate the x and y components in an 2D-environment:
initial velocity x = initial velocity * cos(theta)
initial velocity y = initial velocity * sin(theta)

But I can't figure out to apply this to an 3D-environment. Can anybody give me some good resources for learning this concept or provide some examples?

Many thanks in advance!

Redweasel
P.S.: Sorry for my bad english

Physics news on Phys.org
Redweasel said:
I want to calculate the velocity components x, y and z based on a velocity value and two angles (yaw along the z-axis and pitch).
If the yaw is relative to z axis, then which axis is pitch relative to? This sound similar to spherical coordinates, with r equal to the magnitude of velocity. Note that there are conflicting usages of the symbols used to represent the angles. Link to mathworld article:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

The pitch should be related to the x axis.

The purpose for this is java programming. I want to create a little program where you enter the initial velocity, yaw and pitch and then throw a ball. It then displays the time when it hits the floor (time = zInitialVelocity / g * 2) and the x and y coordinates. Is there a way without the spherical coordinate system?

Redweasel said:
The pitch should be related to the x axis.
Related to the x-axis in which direction, towards the y-axis or towards the z axis? You didn's specify the relationship bettween x, y, z axis and the directions left-right, forward-back, up-down. If z-axis is vertical, then pitch could be the angle from horizontal (the x-y plane) (which could be restated as π/2 - angle from z-axis), and yaw would be the angle from x or y-axis along the x-y plane.

Redweasel said:
I want to create a little program where you enter the initial velocity, yaw and pitch and then throw a ball. It then displays the time when it hits the floor (time = zInitialVelocity / g * 2) and the x and y coordinates. Is there a way without the spherical coordinate system?
A velocity, yaw, and pitch implies a spherical like coordinate (magnitude and two angles). You can always translate the initial condition into components of velocity vx, vy, vz. Acceleration can also be split up into ax, ay, az components and position would be x, y, z.

Last edited:
I guess I have to learn this spherical coordinate stuff then. Looks quite confusing, but I think I'll find a way. Thanks for your answer

Related to Calculate velocity components x,y and z

What is the formula for calculating velocity components x, y, and z?

The formula for calculating velocity components x, y, and z is V = √(Vx² + Vy² + Vz²), where Vx is the velocity in the x-direction, Vy is the velocity in the y-direction, and Vz is the velocity in the z-direction.

Can velocity components be negative?

Yes, velocity components can be negative. It indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system.

How do you calculate the velocity components from a given velocity vector?

To calculate the velocity components from a given velocity vector, you can use trigonometric functions. The velocity component in the x-direction can be calculated as Vx = V cosθ, the velocity component in the y-direction can be calculated as Vy = V sinθ, and the velocity component in the z-direction can be calculated as Vz = V cosφ, where θ is the angle between the velocity vector and the x-axis, and φ is the angle between the velocity vector and the z-axis.

Can you calculate the velocity components without knowing the velocity vector?

No, it is not possible to calculate the velocity components without knowing the velocity vector. The velocity vector is a combination of all three velocity components, and without knowing at least one of them, it is not possible to calculate the other components.

How do the velocity components affect the overall velocity of an object?

The velocity components affect the overall velocity of an object by determining the direction and magnitude of its motion. The x, y, and z components combine to create a velocity vector that represents the speed and direction of the object's motion.