Calculating Vector C's X Component | Vector x Components Help

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you referring to the question or the conversation? In summary, the conversation is discussing the x and y components of vectors A and B and the x component of vector C. The problem at hand is to solve for the x component of C given the equations A_x - B_x + 3C_x = 0 and A_y - B_y + 3C_y = 0. The solution is C_x = -0.73 cm.
the_d
I have a question. Vector A has x and y components of -20cm and 15 cm, respectively; vector B has x and y components of 10.9cm and -20 cm, respectively. If A - B + 3C = 0, what is the x component of C?

I found out that C = -0.73 cm but that's not what the question is asking.

Physics news on Phys.org
the_d said:
I have a question. Vector A has x and y components of -20cm and 15 cm, respectively; vector B has x and y components of 10.9cm and -20 cm, respectively. If A - B + 3C = 0, what is the x component of C?

I found out that C = -0.73 cm but that's not what the question is asking.

Use the "x" and "y" components of A, B, and C and solve for the required quantities:

A_x - B_x + 3C_x = 0
A_y - B_y + 3C_y = 0

~~

Last edited:
He/She only needs he first equation...

Daniel.

thanx...

Related to Calculating Vector C's X Component | Vector x Components Help

What is the definition of a vector's x component?

A vector's x component is the magnitude of the vector in the horizontal direction. It represents the displacement of the vector along the x-axis.

Why is it important to understand vector x components?

Understanding vector x components is important because it allows us to break down a vector into its horizontal and vertical components, making it easier to solve problems involving vector addition and subtraction.

How do you calculate a vector's x component?

To calculate a vector's x component, you can use the formula x = magnitude * cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the vector and the x-axis. Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the x component if you have the vector's magnitude and its y component.

What happens when a vector's x component is negative?

A negative x component means that the vector is pointing in the negative x direction, or to the left. This can also be interpreted as the vector having a negative horizontal displacement.

Can a vector's x component be greater than its magnitude?

No, a vector's x component cannot be greater than its magnitude. The maximum value of a vector's x component is equal to the magnitude of the vector itself.