Calculating v from v0, frictional coefficients, and angle

In summary, the expert witness found that the slope of the hill was θ = 12.0°, the cars were separated by distance d = 23.0 m, and the speed of car A at the onset of braking was v0 = 20.0 m/s. Using the coefficient of kinetic friction of (a) 0.560 and (b) 0.190 for dry and wet road surfaces, respectively, the expert calculated that the speed of car A when it hit car B was approximately 16.5 m/s.
rockchalk1312
You testify as an expert witness in a case involving an accident in which car A slid into the rear of car B, which was stopped at a red light along a road headed down a hill. You find that the slope of the hill is θ = 12.0°, that the cars were separated by distance d = 23.0 m when the driver of car A put the car into a slide (it lacked any automatic anti-brake-lock system), and that the speed of car A at the onset of braking was v0 = 20.0 m/s. With what speed did car A hit car B if the coefficient of kinetic friction was (a) 0.560 (dry road surface) and (b) 0.190 (road surface covered with wet leaves)?equations:
Fn=mg
Fk=μkFn
x-xo=vot-(1/2)at^2attempt at solution:
Fn=mgcos12
=(9.8)(cos12)(m)
=9.59m

fk=μkFn
fk-mgsin12=ma
μkgcos12-gsin12=a
(.560)(9.8)(cos12)-(9.8)(sin12)=a
a=3.33

x-xo=vot-(1/2)at^2
23=20t-(1/2)(3.33)t^2
0=-1.665t^2+20t-23

quadratic formula gave -1.288, -10.72

v=vo+at
v=20+(-3.33)(1.05)
v=16.5035

obviously can't have -t so I just plugged in +1.05 into that last equation, but I'm just trying to figure out what I did wrong because this was the wrong answer. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which direction are you taking to be the positive direction along the slope? Do both of your signs for the initial velocity and acceleration (in the x equation) agree with your choice of positive direction?

[EDIT: Never mind, I saw a = 3.33 (positive) but you took care of the sign by inserting a negative in the x formula. Sorry]

Are you sure you get negative values for t when you solve the quadratic equation? I get positive values.

Oh--you're right! Recalculated with an online quad formula calculator and it worked. Thank you for your help!

I would first like to clarify that these calculations are based on simplified assumptions and may not accurately reflect the real-world scenario of the accident.

Now, let's take a closer look at the equations and variables used in the attempt at the solution:

- Fn=mgcos12: This equation assumes that the normal force (Fn) acting on the car is equal to the weight (mg) of the car multiplied by the cosine of the angle of the hill (12 degrees). However, in reality, the normal force would also be affected by the slope of the road and the weight distribution of the car. Therefore, this equation may not accurately represent the normal force in this scenario.

- fk=μkFn: This equation assumes that the kinetic friction force (fk) is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) multiplied by the normal force (Fn). Again, this may not accurately reflect the real-world scenario as the friction force would also be affected by other factors such as the surface of the road and the condition of the tires.

- x-xo=vot-(1/2)at^2: This is the equation for displacement (x) as a function of initial position (xo), initial velocity (vo), acceleration (a), and time (t). However, in this scenario, we are interested in finding the final velocity (v) at the time of impact, not the displacement. Therefore, this equation may not be the most appropriate one to use.

Based on these observations, I would suggest using a different approach to solve this problem. Instead of trying to find the final velocity at the time of impact, we can use the conservation of energy principle to calculate the speed of car A when it hit car B. This approach would take into account the change in potential energy (due to the slope of the hill) and the work done by friction (which would be equal to the change in kinetic energy).

Using this approach, the final velocity of car A can be calculated as:

v=sqrt(2gh+μkd)

Where:
- g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)
- h is the height of the hill (d*sin12)
- μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction
- d is the separation distance between the two cars (23 m)

Plugging in the values for the two coefficients of kinetic friction given in the problem, we get:

(a) v=sqrt(2

Related to Calculating v from v0, frictional coefficients, and angle

1. How do I calculate the final velocity (v) using the initial velocity (v0), frictional coefficients, and angle?

To calculate the final velocity, you will need to use the formula v = v0 + at - μkcosθ, where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), μk is the kinetic friction coefficient, and θ is the angle of the incline. Plug in the values for each variable and solve for v.

2. What is the significance of the frictional coefficients in calculating the final velocity?

The frictional coefficients, specifically the kinetic friction coefficient (μk), represent the resistance to motion between two surfaces. This value is necessary in the calculation of final velocity as it affects the overall acceleration of the object.

3. Can I calculate the final velocity if the angle is negative?

Yes, the angle in the formula v = v0 + at - μkcosθ can be positive or negative. A negative angle would simply indicate that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the incline.

4. What units should the values for velocity, frictional coefficients, and angle be in?

The units for velocity should be in meters per second (m/s), the frictional coefficients do not have units as they are ratios, and the angle should be measured in degrees (°).

5. Is there a specific method for determining the angle in the calculation of final velocity?

The angle in the formula v = v0 + at - μkcosθ refers to the angle of incline of the surface on which the object is moving. This can be measured using a protractor or determined using trigonometric functions if the exact angle is unknown.