Calculating trajectory electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using information about stationary source charges to calculate the trajectory of a particle with known charge and mass at an arbitrary point in space. It is suggested that this can be done by solving a differential equation representing the relationship between force, electric field, and acceleration. The possibility of solving this equation analytically and numerically is also mentioned.
aaaa202
In my class we have so far only dealt with electrostatics, i.e. fields of stationary charge distributions. However one question arose while doing so: Given a set of stationary source charges we can calculate the electric field at each point in space. But will that give us enough information to calculate the trajectory of a particle with known charge q and mass m placed at an arbitrary point in space?

Numerically it wouldn't be hard, but is it possible to do analytically for alle kinds of fields? We neglect magnetic forces even though I know they are present. I'm not really sure how you should do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi aaaa202! :smile:
aaaa202 said:
… will that give us enough information to calculate the trajectory of a particle with known charge q and mass m placed at an arbitrary point in space?

electric field is force per charge … F = qE

force = mass times acceleration … F = m d2r/dt2

if you know E as a function of r, you should be able to solve that :wink:

Well it is definitely less obvious what to do than the constant acceleration problems you did in mechanics.

How would you do it?
You could always do it numerically. Like say make a timestep of 0.001sec and then calculate the acceleration and where to the particle has gone after that little timestep. But how would you do it with calculus?

You mention the differential equation:

qE(r) = md2r/dt2

Can you simply solve that for the correct trajectory?

if so, then I love differential equation solutions

Last edited:
aaaa202 said:
qE(r) = md2r/dt2

Can you simply solve that for the correct trajectory?

if so, then I love differential equation solutions

yes, simply solve the differential equation :smile:

(for example, if E is the electric field of a single charge, then the trajectories will be the same as the orbits of a planet round the sun)

Related to Calculating trajectory electric field

1. How do you calculate the trajectory of an electric field?

The trajectory of an electric field can be calculated using the equation F = qE, where F is the force on the charge q, and E is the electric field strength. The direction of the force will determine the trajectory of the electric field.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of an electric field?

The trajectory of an electric field can be affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the charge and mass of the particle experiencing the field. Other factors such as the presence of other charges or external forces can also influence the trajectory.

3. How do you determine the direction of an electric field?

The direction of an electric field can be determined by the direction of the electric force on a positive test charge placed in the field. The field lines will point towards negative charges and away from positive charges.

4. What is the formula for calculating the electric field strength?

The formula for calculating the electric field strength is E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge creating the field, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the field is being measured.

5. Can the trajectory of an electric field be manipulated?

Yes, the trajectory of an electric field can be manipulated by changing the factors that affect it, such as the strength and direction of the field, or the presence of other charges. This can be achieved through various methods such as using conductors or changing the shape of the electric field source.