Calculating Total Electric Charge in a 50kg Sample of Water

In summary, to find the total electric charge of all the electrons in a 50kg sample of water, you will need to first find the atomic number and atomic mass of the elements present in water, which are Hydrogen and Oxygen. This information can be found on a periodic table or in online resources. From there, you can use a conversion factor and the molar mass of water to calculate the total electric charge. Remember to also consider the number of molecules in one mole of substance, which is represented by N_A.
dtrain121

Homework Statement

Find the total electric charge of all the electrons in a 50kg sample of water

Homework Equations

a conversion factor

The Attempt at a Solution

I need the atomic # and the atomic mass but it is water. If I had those two i could solve the problem. How do i get those two things?

Physics news on Phys.org
Water is H2O - two oxygen and two hydrogen atoms. You can look up their masses and charges on a periodic table or look up the elements in Wikipedia.

The atomic number of an element also tells you have many electrons it has.
The atomic number of Hydrogen is 1, and that of oxygen is 8.

The molar mass of water is 18 grams/mol.

There are [tex]N_A[/tex] molecules in one mol of substance.

[tex]N_A=6.02*10^{23} mol^{-1}[/tex]

Related to Calculating Total Electric Charge in a 50kg Sample of Water

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is the rate at which electric charge moves through a circuit.

2. How is electric current created?

Electric current is created when there is a potential difference or voltage between two points in a circuit. This causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating a current.

3. What are the factors that affect electric current?

The factors that affect electric current are the voltage or potential difference, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material the conductor is made of. Higher voltage, lower resistance, and more conductive materials result in a larger electric current.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) is a type of electric current that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) flows in only one direction. AC is commonly used in household electrical systems, while DC is used in batteries and electronic devices.

5. How can I measure electric current?

Electric current can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that is connected in series with a circuit to measure the flow of current. It is important to make sure the ammeter is connected correctly and has the appropriate range for the current being measured.