Electric field of ring of charge/washer of charge/disk of charge

In summary, Homework Equations:-charge density equations-electric field equations-surface charge-integral form of electric field-solution for electric field in a cutout
cookiemnstr510510

Homework Statement

IMG_3775.jpg

Homework Equations

charge density equations, electric field equations,

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts are attached. The attachment labeled A, is part A. Part B took a lot of paper so there are two attachments labeled B1 and B2. It is really B and C that I am struggling with. Not sure if I am on the right track or if it is correct. Any help would be much appreciated!

A little more thought: All the problems I have done in the back of my physics textbook are not like part B. I can find the electric field of a disk without a cut out in it. My thought process of finding the electric field with a cut out in it is integrating from the smaller radius to the larger radius. However, The total area of the washer is piR2^2-piR1^2. I plugged this result into my surface charge density toward the end of my solution.

My attempt at solution C:
Washer has charge +Q, Ring has radius 2R2, Lambda=Q/L
Clearly the charge on the ring has to be negative
therefore Lambda on ring is: -Q/4piR2

Thanks in advanced[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_3775.jpg
    IMG_3775.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,542
  • A.JPG
    A.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 678
  • B1.JPG
    B1.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 599
  • B2.JPG
    B2.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
B1.JPG is correct. APG is also correct. Combine the two results and set it equal to zero with ## z=3 R_2 ##. ## \\ ## In APG, you must set ## Q=2 \pi (2R_2) \lambda=4 \pi R_2 \lambda ##, and ## R=2R_2 ##. (This is not the same ## Q ## that you have in B1.JPG. so call it ## Q' ##. It turns out ## Q' \neq Q ##. ). ## \\ ## Suggestion: Call the ## E_z ## at ## z=3R_2 ## by ## E_1 ## and ## E_2 ##. You must have ## E_1+E_2=0 ##, which means ## E_2=-E_1 ##. Your answer above for ## \lambda ## is incorrect, but the rest is really just algebra. Try again. I'll be happy to check your result. (Note: ## E_2 ## is an expression that has ## \lambda ## in it, and ## E_1 ## has ## Q ## in it. Using ## E_2=-E_1 ##, solve for ## \lambda ##).

Last edited:
Likes cookiemnstr510510
Thank you! I’ll work on it tomorrow and respond! Appreciate it

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
B1.JPG is correct. APG is also correct. Combine the two results and set it equal to zero with ## z=3 R_2 ##. ## \\ ## In APG, you must set ## Q=2 \pi (2R_2) \lambda=4 \pi R_2 \lambda ##, and ## R=2R_2 ##. (This is not the same ## Q ## that you have in B1.JPG. so call it ## Q' ##. It turns out ## Q' \neq Q ##. ). ## \\ ## Suggestion: Call the ## E_z ## at ## z=3R_2 ## by ## E_1 ## and ## E_2 ##. You must have ## E_1+E_2=0 ##, which means ## E_2=-E_1 ##. Your answer above for ## \lambda ## is incorrect, but the rest is really just algebra. Try again. I'll be happy to check your result. (Note: ## E_2 ## is an expression that has ## \lambda ## in it, and ## E_1 ## has ## Q ## in it. Using ## E_2=-E_1 ##, solve for ## \lambda ##).
Okay, So I am finally looking at your response in more detail.
What I have so far is:
E2 is electric field for concentric ring
E2=(k)(lambda)(dl)/r^2
I see what you mean that E1 + E2 has to = 0. Therefore E2=-E1. I guess my question is did I already solve for E1 in image B1JPG?

Yes, that is ##E_1 ## and it is correct.## \\ ## And ## E_2 ## is correct in A1JPG, but you need to set ## R=2R_2 ##, and ## Q =2 \pi (2R_2) \lambda ##. (As previously mentioned, this is not the same ## Q ## that it in B2jpg).## \\ ## In your post 4 here, ## E_2 ## is missing the ## \cos(\theta) =\frac{z}{(R^2+z^2)^{1/2} } ## factor.

Last edited:
Okay, I believe I see what you are saying-
Ering= (kλ2pi2R2z)/(2R22 + z2)(3/2)
and
EDisk= (2pizQ)/((4piε0(piR22-piR12)) [1/(z2+R12)1/2-1/(z2+R22)1/2]

Then I say ERing+EDisk=0 and solve for lambda?
That seems like some really tedious algebra which I haven't tried yet. Wanted to know if this was the correct method before I try to do it.
Thanks!

cookiemnstr510510 said:
Okay, I believe I see what you are saying-
Ering= (kλ2pi2R2z)/(2R22 + z2)(3/2)
and
EDisk= (2pizQ)/((4piε0(piR22-piR12)) [1/(z2+R12)1/2-1/(z2+R22)1/2]

Then I say ERing+EDisk=0 and solve for lambda?
That seems like some really tedious algebra which I haven't tried yet. Wanted to know if this was the correct method before I try to do it.
Thanks!
Quite a bit of that "cancels out" . You should either use Coulomb's coefficient, ##\ k\ ##, for both or ##\ \displaystyle \frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0}\ ##. I suggest the latter. Gets rid of some ##\ \pi \, ##s .

You have: ##\ \displaystyle E_{Ring} = \frac{kλ2\pi 2 R_2\, z} { \left( 2{R_2}^2 + z^2 \right)^{3/2}}\ ## but I suppose you should be squaring (2R2), not just the R2 .

Changing to ε0 form and the above correction gives:
##\ \displaystyle E_{Ring} = \frac{2\, \lambda \pi \, 2 R_2\, z} { 4\pi\,\varepsilon_0 \left( {(2R_2)}^2 + z^2 \right)^{3/2}}\ ##​

The expression for the disk is:
##\ \displaystyle E_{Disk} = \frac{2\pi z \,Q} {(4 \pi \varepsilon_0) \left(\pi {R_2}^2 - \pi {R_1}^2 \right)}
\left(\frac{1}{( z^2 + {R_1}^2 )^{1/2} } - \frac{1}{(z^2 + {R_2}^2 )^{1/2} } \right) ##

Last edited:
Likes cookiemnstr510510
Okay! I’ll try it out! Thanks

cookiemnstr510510 said:
Okay! I’ll try it out! Thanks
I was editing that for a while. Just got finished.

Likes cookiemnstr510510
okay so:
E ring= λz(2R2/[2ε0((2R2)2+z2))3/2
and
E washer= zQ/2ε0(piR22-piR12) [1/√R12+z2 - 1/√R22+z2]
then we say E ring=-E washer, solving for λ-
λ=-Q((2R2)2+z2))3/2/2R2(piR22-piR12) [1/√R12+z2 - 1/√R22+z2]

Im guessing no one wants to check my algebra LOL, just wanted to make sure this approach is correct, as long as my approach is correct my teacher is pretty lenient on algebraic mistakes with long calculations like this

Related to Electric field of ring of charge/washer of charge/disk of charge

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field of a ring/washer/disk of charge?

The formula for calculating the electric field of a ring/washer/disk of charge is given by:

E = k*q*(z/R^2)

Where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the ring/washer/disk, z is the distance from the center of the ring/washer/disk to the point where the electric field is being measured, and R is the radius of the ring/washer/disk.

2. How does the electric field vary with distance from the center of the ring/washer/disk?

The electric field of a ring/washer/disk of charge varies inversely with the square of the distance from the center. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the electric field decreases.

3. What is the direction of the electric field around a ring/washer/disk of charge?

The direction of the electric field around a ring/washer/disk of charge is radial, meaning it points away from the center of the ring/washer/disk. This is because the charge is distributed evenly around the ring/washer/disk, creating a symmetric electric field.

4. Can the electric field of a ring/washer/disk of charge be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a ring/washer/disk of charge can be negative. This occurs when the charge is negative and the distance from the center is greater than the radius, resulting in a negative value for the electric field.

5. How does the electric field of a ring/washer/disk of charge compare to that of a point charge?

The electric field of a ring/washer/disk of charge is similar to that of a point charge at points far away from the center. However, as you get closer to the center, the electric field of a ring/washer/disk of charge becomes more complex due to its distribution of charge. At the center, the electric field of a ring/washer/disk of charge becomes zero, while a point charge would have a non-zero electric field.