Calculating Total Distance Traveled by an Elastic Ball with Infinite Bounces

In summary: So in summary, when dropped, an elastic ball bounces back up to a height three-quarters of that from which it fell. If the ball is dropped from a height 2 m and allowed to bounce up and down indefinitely, the total distance it travels before coming to rest is 14 m, calculated by finding the partial sum of a geometric series with a first term of 3/2 and a common ratio of 3/4.
danni7070

Homework Statement

When dropped, an elastic ball bounces back up to a height three-quarters of that from which it fell. If the ball is dropped from a height 2 m and allowed to bounce up and down indefinitely, what is the total distance it travels before coming to rest?

Homework Equations

I think I have to use Partial sums of geometric series.

If r is not equal to 1 then

[tex] S_n = a + ar + ar^2 + ... ar^n-1 = a(1-r^n)/1-r [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It's really easy to understand the question, but setting it up mathematecally is other story.

I tried to do 2 + 3/2 + 9/8 + 27/32 + 81/128 + ... + 3n/4n where a_1 = 2 and a_2 = 3/2
but this is not leading me to an final answer.

Trying to use the equation above saying a = 2 and r = 3/4

I get the final answer 8 m But the answer is 14 m.

What is the correct setup?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use only 3/2+9/8+27/32+...+3n/4n where a_1=3/2, you get half the distance, save 2m [since it bounces up AND down the same distance every time except the first drop]
S_n=8 according to your calculations, so the new sum would be S_n-2

Thus you get the total distance as 2+2(S_n-2) = 2+12=14

duh?

Thank you for this eye opening reply.

Of course!

Related to Calculating Total Distance Traveled by an Elastic Ball with Infinite Bounces

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical expression that consists of an infinite sum of terms. It is a way to represent a sequence of numbers that continues indefinitely.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent infinite series?

A convergent infinite series is one whose sum approaches a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity. A divergent infinite series is one whose sum does not approach a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity.

3. How do you know if an infinite series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests compare the series to known convergent or divergent series or use mathematical properties of the terms to determine convergence.

4. What are some real-world applications of infinite series?

Infinite series are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. They are used to model and solve problems involving continuous quantities, like motion, growth, and decay. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile or the population growth of a species.

5. Can an infinite series have an infinite sum?

Yes, there are some infinite series that have an infinite sum, such as the harmonic series. These series are called divergent and their sums are said to be infinite.