Calculating Time of Flight for a Launched Object

In summary, the system in question involves launching an object horizontally off a desk at an initial speed of 4.2 m/s from a height of 1.3 meters. The question is asking for the predicted time of flight for the object. Using the X and Y table method, we can set up equations using d = tv for horizontal and d = vit + 1/2at^2 for vertical, with time being equal in both columns. This approach can help find the unknown variables needed to solve the problem.
Shokatsuryou

Homework Statement

A system is setup to launch an object horizontally off desks with an initial speed of 4.2 m/s. Height of desk is 1.3 meters.

What time of flight should be predicted for the object?

Homework Equations

Δt = (v2 - v1) / ∂ (Not too sure)

The Attempt at a Solution

1.3/4.2 = 0.31 seconds

Hello. I tried to find the time, but I keep getting the time wrong. The actual answer is 0.52s, but I think I'm going the wrong way about it :( Can someone help me understand the question more and lead me into the right direction? I'm not very good at physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you aware of the X and Y table method?

Make an X and Y table
Like this

X___|___Y

In the X column, put all of your X axis information (you have velocity)

And in the Y column put down all of your Y axis information (you always have acceleration due to gravity, you have height/distance in this question as well)Now, remember that for horizontal you always use d = tv, and for vertical it's always d = vit + 1/2at^2.

Use those formulae with the information you have in the respective columns to find the unknown variables.

ALWAYS REMEMBER-
Time will be equal in both columns, it is the only factor that does not change because it's neither an X nor a Y nor a Z vector, so if you get time in one column you will effectively have time in both columns.

Last edited:
Ohh..! Thank you so much! You saved me!

Related to Calculating Time of Flight for a Launched Object

1. How do you predict the time of flight for an object?

To predict the time of flight for an object, you need to know its initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Using these variables, you can use the equations of motion to calculate the time of flight.

2. Can you predict the time of flight without knowing the initial velocity?

Yes, you can still predict the time of flight without knowing the initial velocity. This can be done by using the range formula, which only requires the angle of launch and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect the time of flight?

Air resistance can affect the time of flight by slowing down the object's velocity and causing it to fall faster. This can result in a shorter time of flight compared to a situation with no air resistance.

4. Does the mass of the object affect the time of flight?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the time of flight. However, a heavier object may experience more air resistance, which can indirectly affect the time of flight.

5. What other factors can affect the predicted time of flight?

Other factors that can affect the predicted time of flight include the shape and size of the object, the altitude of the launch, and external forces such as wind or air currents. These factors can alter the object's trajectory and ultimately impact the time of flight.