Calculating Time Interval for a Perfectly Elastic Collision in Curling Match

In summary, the time interval for the collision of Rock A&B is 4.5 seconds and for Rock B&C is also 4.5 seconds.
ElementUser

Homework Statement

Matthew and Amanda have challenged Trevor and Julie to a curling match, played with perfectly elastic rocks sliding on level frictionless ice. Three rocks are lined up all in a row (perfectly straight line). B is a junior rock and its mass is exactly half of A or C. B and C are stationary while A approaches. Calculate the time interval between the collision of A&B and the collision of B&C. The distance between B and C is 4.5m. Rock A has an initial velocity of 1.5 m/s.

Diagram: 2M -----> M __________ 2M
Distance between M and the right-most 2M is 4.5m.

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2=m1v1^prime + m2v2^prime
d=vt, where v is equal to v2^prime
J=Ft
p=mv
Probably some equation that I missed (main problem of the question that I can't figure out)

The Attempt at a Solution

Variables: m1=2 kg
m2=1 kg
v1=1.5 m/s
v2=0 m/s
v1^prime=?
v2^prime=?

2(1.5)+0=2v1^prime+v2^prime
3=2v1^prime+v2^prime

Then I tried doing v2^prime=d/t, which got me to:

v2^prime=4.5/t

I tried subbing that into the other equation to make it 3=2v1^prime+v2^prime, but that got me nowhere. So basically I'm stuck trying to find v2^prime, which is what I need to figure out the time interval between the 2 collisions. I tried to think of the impulse&momentum equations, but they didn't seem to help (can't find the force for the impulse equation).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks :).

-ElementUser (first post in these forums)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

ElementUser said:
… a curling match, played with perfectly elastic rocks sliding on level frictionless ice …

Hi ElementUser! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(no need to write ^prime … just write ' :wink:)

In exam questions, "perfectly elastic" means you can use conservation of energy. :wink:

Thanks tiny-tim :)

Took me a long time because my physics teacher today added a portion for this question, that you also have to find the time interval for the second timer Rock B will hit Rock A (after B bounces off of C).

Related to Calculating Time Interval for a Perfectly Elastic Collision in Curling Match

1. What is a 3-object elastic collision?

A 3-object elastic collision is a type of collision in physics where three objects collide with each other and the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

2. How is momentum conserved in a 3-object elastic collision?

Momentum is conserved in a 3-object elastic collision because the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What factors determine the outcome of a 3-object elastic collision?

The outcome of a 3-object elastic collision is determined by several factors, including the masses of the objects, their initial velocities, and the angles at which they collide. These factors can be used to calculate the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

4. Are there any real-life applications of 3-object elastic collisions?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of 3-object elastic collisions. One example is in billiards games, where the balls collide with each other and the table in an elastic manner. Another example is in particle accelerators, where particles collide with each other at high speeds in order to study their properties.

5. How does a 3-object elastic collision differ from an inelastic collision?

A 3-object elastic collision differs from an inelastic collision in that the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved in an elastic collision, while it is not conserved in an inelastic collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.