Calculating Time for Car B to Overtake Car A

• Thread starter APett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Time
In summary, two cars, Car A and Car B, are observed with Car A being 25 meters ahead and moving at a constant velocity. Car B has the same velocity at the time of observation but also has a constant positive acceleration. To calculate how long it takes for Car B to overtake Car A, one can use the kinematic equations for both cars and subtract them, setting the difference equal to zero to find the time it takes for their positions to be equal.
APett
Say we have two cars, Car A and Car B. Car A is 25 meters ahead and has a constant velocity. Car B has the exact same velocity at the moment of observation, but also has a constant positive acceleration.

If I want to calculate how long it takes for Car B to overtake Car A, wouldn't it be the same as calculating how long it takes car B to go 25 meters from standing still?

I know how to calculate it if this is correct, I just need to know if it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can answer this one for yourself. Write the kinematic equations for both cars and and subtract them (if you want their positions equal, you want ##P_B - P_A = 0##. Set it equal to zero and see what happens.

Related to Calculating Time for Car B to Overtake Car A

1. How do you calculate the time for Car B to overtake Car A?

To calculate the time for Car B to overtake Car A, you need to know the distance between the two cars, the speed of both cars, and the acceleration of Car B. You can use the formula: time = (distance / (Car B's speed - Car A's speed)) + (Car B's acceleration / Car B's speed)

2. What information do I need to gather before calculating the time for Car B to overtake Car A?

You will need the distance between the two cars, the speed of both cars, and the acceleration of Car B. It is also helpful to know the initial positions of both cars.

3. Can I use this calculation for any type of vehicles?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of vehicles as long as you have the necessary information (distance, speeds, and acceleration).

4. How does the acceleration of Car B affect the time for it to overtake Car A?

The acceleration of Car B plays a significant role in determining the time it takes for it to overtake Car A. A higher acceleration will result in a shorter time, while a lower acceleration will result in a longer time.

5. Is there a specific unit for the distance and speed in this calculation?

The unit for distance and speed can vary depending on the situation. It is important to use consistent units for accurate calculations. Common units for distance include meters, kilometers, and miles, while common units for speed include meters per second, kilometers per hour, and miles per hour.