Calculating Time and Velocity of Two Stones Dropped from a Cliff

In summary, the first stone will hit the water 2.9968 seconds after it is thrown, and the second stone will have an initial velocity of 31.368 m/s.
firebirds0707

Homework Statement

A man stands at the top of a 50.0 m cliff hanging over a calm pool of water. The man throws the two balls vertically 1.0s apart and observes that they cause a single splash when it hit the water. The first stone has an initial velocity of +2.0 m/s.

a) How long after relese of the first stone will the stone hit the water?
b) What is the initial velocity of the second stone when it is thrown?
c) What will the velocity of each stone be at the instant both stones hit the water?

Ok, so that is the question given, word too word so everything should be there.

For a, since the first one had a 1 s head start it had time to acclerate more and when it hits the water, it would have been farther ahead then just 1s. Therefore I do not know how to correctly figure out the exact time.

This is my attempt, but I don't know where to go from this.

vfy^2 = viy^2 + 2ay(t)
= 22 + 2(9.8)(50)
vfy = 31.368

ay = (vfy - viy) / t
t = 2.9968

I am not sure if this is even right.

Physics news on Phys.org
vfy^2 = viy^2 + 2ay(t)
= 22 + 2(9.8)(50)
vfy = 31.368
Shouldn't there be a negative sign on the 9.8? Oh, and on the 50 as well. Okay, that must be correct. But I don't think the time calculation is. Perhaps a minus sign is needed there.

I would recommend good old d = Vi*t + .5*a*t² for this one, so you get the time of flight directly from the given information.

Yes, I should have used the d = Vi*t + .5*a*t², but I was too lazy to use the quadratic formula =D. And also the reason I didn't put negatives in 9.8 and 50 as well was because I considered the bottom as positive, but why would 50 be a negative as well (because 50 is the time and time can't be negative).

I will try using that equation and post what i get from it.

Thx

Related to Calculating Time and Velocity of Two Stones Dropped from a Cliff

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the three fundamental concepts of kinematics?

The three fundamental concepts of kinematics are position, velocity, and acceleration. Position is the location of an object in space, velocity is the rate of change of position, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

3. What are the basic equations used in kinematics?

The basic equations used in kinematics are the equations of motion, which include the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations involve variables such as time, displacement, initial velocity, and acceleration.

4. How is kinematics used in real-life applications?

Kinematics is used in many real-life applications, such as designing cars, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, and analyzing the movement of athletes in sports. It is also used in robotics, video game design, and animation.

5. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics only considers the motion of objects, while dynamics takes into account the forces that cause the motion. In other words, kinematics focuses on how objects move, while dynamics focuses on why objects move.