Calculating Time and Forces with Frictionless Surfaces

• Thread starter zell_D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary, a woman weighing 730N throws a 1.2kg backpack horizontally at 5m/s to propel herself on a frozen pond. It takes her approximately 62.07 seconds to reach the other side. On a frictionless surface, a force of 3.2N is applied to a 3.2kg block pushing against a 1.2kg block. The normal forces and action and reaction forces are balanced, causing both blocks to move with the same acceleration. The density of bubble gum is 1g per cubic cm, and a wad of 8g gum is blown into a bubble with a 10cm diameter. To find the thickness
zell_D

Homework Statement

1. A woman weighing 730N stands in the middle of a frozen pond of radius 5m. She is unable
to get to the other side because of a lack of friction between her shoes and the ice. To propel
herself, she throws a 1.2kg backpack horizontally towards the south shore at a speed of 5m/s.
How long does it take her to reach the north shore?

2. Two blocks are in contact on a frictionless surface., sitting horizontally next to each other. You apply a force of 3.2N to block 1 such that it pushes against block two. Mass of block 1 = 3.2kg. Mass of block 2 = 1.2 kg. What is the magnitude of the force between the two blocks?

3.The density of bubble gum is about 1g per cubic cm. You blow an 8g wad of gum into a
bubble with a 10cm diameter. What is the thickness of the bubble's skin?

Homework Equations

1. conservation of momentum (explosion?) (Mass A + Mass B)V initial = Mass A*V A + Mass B * V B?
2. F=ma F=0
3. no idea? 4/3pi r^3?

The Attempt at a Solution

I did number 1, my answer came out to be something like 62.07 seconds but i am not sure if its right. Need someone to check for me. (I set the initial velocity to zero since the backpack on the woman AND the woman were in the middle of the pond not moving right?)

number 2 and 3 i have no idea, i drew the diagrams out but does the box being pushed on have a normal force pushing back or no?

number 3 i just have absolutely NO idea lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem 1 is correct.
For problem 2, draw the free body diagram. Normal forces on the blocks are balanced by the weights of the blocks.
Consider action and reaction forces acting on block 2 and block one.
Both the blocks must move with the same acceleration.
In problem 3, Surface area of the sphere is given by A = 4*pi*r^2. If t is the thickness of the skin, find the volume. Volume X density = mass of the bubble gum.

Likes nads_1019
I got everything now cept for number 3. Ok so i find the surface area and i have the volume, so we find the thickness of what? the bubble or the bubble gum? >.<

Mass of the bubble gum = Area of the bubble*thickness of the bubble*density of the bubble gum

Likes nads_1019
i did that but the answer came out to be .025 CM but the answer is .02 mm on the practice so i am confused

I think the teacher said something about subtracting the outer layer with inner layer or something like that

Related to Calculating Time and Forces with Frictionless Surfaces

What does "I really, final tomorrow lol" mean?

"I really, final tomorrow lol" is a phrase commonly used by students to express their stress or anxiety about an upcoming final exam. The phrase can be interpreted as "I'm really worried about my final tomorrow, but I'm trying to make light of it with a laugh."

Why do students use this phrase?

Students often use this phrase as a way to cope with their stress and anxiety about an upcoming final exam. By using humor, it can help to alleviate some of the pressure and tension associated with the exam.

Is using humor an effective coping mechanism for exam stress?

While using humor may not work for everyone, it can be an effective coping mechanism for some students. Laughing and finding the humor in a stressful situation can help to reduce anxiety and improve overall well-being.

Does saying "I really, final tomorrow lol" mean the person is not taking the exam seriously?

No, using this phrase does not necessarily mean the person is not taking the exam seriously. It is simply a way for them to express their stress and anxiety in a lighthearted manner. They may still be studying and preparing for the exam, but using humor as a way to cope.

How can scientists use this phrase in their research?

Scientists can use this phrase as a way to study the effects of humor on stress and anxiety. They can analyze the responses and behaviors of individuals who use this phrase compared to those who do not, and determine the effectiveness of using humor as a coping mechanism for exam stress.