Force Exerted by Blocks on a Frictionless Surface

In summary, three blocks of mass 5, 10, and 25 kg are lined up on a frictionless surface with a force of 14 N applied to the left-most block. The magnitude of the force that the middle block exerts on the rightmost one is 8.75 N and the magnitude of the force that the leftmost block exerts on the middle one is 7/15 N. When the order of the blocks is reversed, the magnitude of the force that the leftmost block exerts on the middle one is still 7/15 N.
farrah003
1. Homework Statement

Blocks of mass 5, 10, and 25 kg are lined up from left to right in that order on a frictionless surface so each block is touching the next one. A rightward-pointing force of magnitude 14 N is applied to the left-most block.

a) What is the magnitude of the force that the middle block exerts on the rightmost one?
Fright, middle = 8.749999995
b) What is the magnitude of the force that the leftmost block exerts on the middle one?
Fmiddle, left = ?
c) Suppose now that the left-right order of the blocks is reversed. Now find the magnitude of the force that the leftmost block exerts on the middle one?
F'middle, left = ?

i figured out the first part i just need help to do the last two

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think (a) is right. Here's what I would do.

F = ma

The force pushing on the blocks is equal to their total mass times their acceleration but we have to solve for acceleration.

14 = 30a

a = 7/15

Use F = ma for every question and don't forget Newton's 3rd law

part a is correct because the homework is on a software and it accepted my answer

how did you get a

Nevermind. I screwed up. The total mass of the blocks is equal to 40 not 30. So a is right.

Related to Force Exerted by Blocks on a Frictionless Surface

1. What is the force exerted by a block on a frictionless surface?

The force exerted by a block on a frictionless surface is known as the normal force. It is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force of gravity acting on the block.

2. How is the force exerted by a block on a frictionless surface calculated?

The force exerted by a block on a frictionless surface can be calculated using the formula F = m * g, where F is the force, m is the mass of the block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the weight of the block affect the force exerted on a frictionless surface?

No, the weight of the block does not affect the force exerted on a frictionless surface. The force is solely determined by the mass of the block and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What happens to the force exerted by a block on a frictionless surface when the mass of the block changes?

The force exerted by a block on a frictionless surface will change proportionally to the change in mass. If the mass increases, the force will increase, and if the mass decreases, the force will decrease.

5. Can the force exerted by a block on a frictionless surface be negative?

No, the force exerted by a block on a frictionless surface cannot be negative. Since the force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force of gravity, it will always be a positive value.