Calculating tilt from an AR-15

• Thread starter gutymaule98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tilt
In summary: However, concerns have been raised about the safety and appropriateness of discussing this topic in a school setting.
gutymaule98
Summary:: NEed to calculate tilt of AR-15 for school project

Hello, I am creating a rifle simulator prop that will recreate realistic recoil without firing a bullet. MY idea is to use pressure gas leaving the tip of the gun in a downwards position to recreate the tilt, just like the opposite of a compensator. However, I have been struggling to calculate the tilt of the gun from shooting a bullet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

By "tilt" do you mean "recoil"? You would need to have a mechanism to create a backward pulse on the stock to simulate the recoil.

Recoil moves the rifle in the opposite direction to the projectile, back into the stock. Tilt refers to the tendency of the barrel to rise when fired. Compensators vent the exhaust gases upward to compensate for this tendency for the barrel to rise, and backward to offset recoil. Check?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_rise#Reason

1647459057211.png

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Your post is very weapon-specific. Under those circumstances, it may be necessary to consider the fact that the 'recoil experience' of an AR-15 includes the operation of the bolt. Just before the round leaves the barrel, the bolt is unlocked and 'blown back' with gas. a buffer spring is compressed by the bolt's rearward travel (several inches) and then it accelerates forward and strips a new round from the magazine. When it hits 'home,' it stops (suddenly) and (hopefully) locks. 'Recoil' for a gas-operated weapon is complicated. All of that is to say: There isn't a simple way to 'calculate' the recoil (or the effect of recoil on weapon 'tilt.')

• Informative
Likes berkeman
All correct. Simulator implies simplification. One can ignore most of the internal mechanism complexity, specific AR-15 variations and concentrate on the (x, y, z) axes to plot motion.

One can even ignore the bullet in the calculation as the escaping gases when an actual rifle fires provide enough impulse to
  1. kick the rifle back (recoil), and
  2. rotate the rifle upward ('tilt' or muzzle rise).
Both are explained by Newton's laws of motion, tilt or rise because the operator grips the rifle near the back while the gases expand from the front.

[Edit: corrected misapprehension. No actual weapon parts nor ammunition should be near any school.] Simulator can be made with a stick or ruler. Tap the 'muzzle' to simulate firing.

Last edited:
Klystron said:
One can even ignore the bullet as the escaping gases provide enough impulse
I don't think we should be encouraging the OP to eject anything (including high pressure gasses) from his prop. So far I'm not thinking that would be safe. But...

gutymaule98 said:

Hello, I am creating a rifle simulator prop that will recreate realistic recoil without firing a bullet. MY idea is to use pressure gas leaving the tip of the gun in a downwards position to recreate the tilt, just like the opposite of a compensator. However, I have been struggling to calculate the tilt of the gun from shooting a bullet.
Can you tell us more about this "school project" and the need for a "prop AR-15"? Is this for the drama department to use in an upcoming play perhaps? We have rules here at PF about dangerous discussions, and a discussion to help you try to build a stage prop that expels high pressure gasses is not going to happen here.

If this is for a play, does it only get fired once, and you just need it to simulate the recoil once so it looks more realistic? Or is it used in semi-auto rapid fire mode? If the latter, how many recoils in a row do you need to simulate? How much time between simulated shots?

And if it is for a student play by the drama department, I would have to ask what in the world is the play about? Perhaps some scenes from "Apocolypse Now"?

Likes Lnewqban and Bystander
berkeman said:
scenes from "Apocolypse Now"?
Recoil is recoil and never been "simulated" at all "realistically" in movies...just does not happen. The "old cowboy/oater" exaggerated movement of wrist/arm is/has become standard dramatic technique.

Bystander said:
Recoil is recoil and never been "simulated" at all "realistically" in movies
Agreed. Ever seen an actor flinch when the gun goes off? :wink:

This may be an 'abandoned' thread? OP wrote 'calculate' as if for a physics class.

My granddaughter tells me that even toy weapons are not allowed on campus.

Likes Lnewqban
Klystron said:
My granddaughter tells me that even toy weapons are not allowed on campus.
Yeah, good point.

Likes Klystron
gutymaule98 said:

Waaay more information is required, here. Mostly "Why ?".

Thread is temporarily locked for Moderation. @gutymaule98 send me a PM (private message -- click on my avatar and Start a Conversation) to answer the questions that you have been asked in this thread. If your answers are okay, the thread will be conditionally reopened. Thank you.

Related to Calculating tilt from an AR-15

1. How do you calculate the tilt of an AR-15?

To calculate the tilt of an AR-15, you will need to measure the angle of the rifle in relation to the ground. This can be done using a protractor or a tilt sensor. Place the rifle on a flat surface and measure the angle of the barrel from the ground. This will give you the tilt angle of the AR-15.

2. What is the purpose of calculating tilt from an AR-15?

Calculating the tilt of an AR-15 is important for ensuring accuracy and precision while shooting. It allows you to make adjustments to the rifle's position and aim in order to hit your target accurately.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating tilt from an AR-15?

There is no specific formula for calculating tilt from an AR-15, as it depends on the measurement tool being used. However, the general method involves measuring the angle of the rifle in relation to the ground.

4. Can tilt affect the performance of an AR-15?

Yes, tilt can greatly affect the performance of an AR-15. If the rifle is tilted, it can cause the bullet to deviate from its intended trajectory, resulting in missed shots or reduced accuracy. It is important to regularly check and adjust the tilt of the rifle to ensure optimal performance.

5. Are there any tools or devices that can help with calculating tilt from an AR-15?

Yes, there are various tools and devices that can assist with calculating tilt from an AR-15. These include tilt sensors, bubble levels, and protractors. Some rifles also come with built-in tilt indicators to help with this measurement.