How Do You Calculate the Correct Aiming Angle to Compensate for Bullet Drop?

In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of the upward angle needed to aim a gun in order to counteract the effects of gravity on a bullet's flight. The person has used kinematic equations and trigonometry to determine the angle, but when they plug it into a ballistics simulation, the bullet falls slightly below the point of aim at longer distances. They are unsure if they are missing something or if the simulator's basic air friction model is causing the discrepancy.
Dux
I'm hoping that someone on this board can tell me where I'm going wrong here.

Basically, I'm trying to calculate the upward angle at which one would need to aim a gun in order to fire a bullet to perfectly compensate for the effect of gravity on the bullet during the course of its flight over a given time and distance. Using standard kinematic equations, I have come up with the following:

-1/2gt^2 + Vi * t = Dv

g = acceleration due to gravity, 9.8
t = time
Vi = initial upward velocity
Dv = total vertical displacement

My thought was that simply making Dv equal to 0 and solving for Vi, I could determine the initial upward velocity I would need to counteract the downward acceleration due to gravity like so:

-1/2gt^2 + Vi * t = 0
-Vi * t = -1/2gt^2
Vi = 1/2gt

I then figured I could combine this number with the total magnitude of the bullet's initial velocity (the bullet's muzzle velocity) and use a little trigonometry to determine the angle like so:

θ = asin(Vi/V)

This produces an angle that seems fairly reasonable, but when I plug it into a ballistics simulation I'm using, the result is that the bullet actually falls slightly below the point of aim. The longer the distance/time, the more pronounced the error becomes. At distances beyond 600 meters, the error starts to become very substantial.

I feel like I must be missing something. Anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to understand ballistics, you must understand that bullet-drop is proportional to the horizontal component of the bullet's trajectory. If you are a hunter shooting at a deer, do you aim high or low when the deer is up-slope from you? How about when the deer is downhill from you? In each case, the horizontal component of the shot is reduced. Does this help?

Dux said:
I'm hoping that someone on this board can tell me where I'm going wrong here.

Basically, I'm trying to calculate the upward angle at which one would need to aim a gun in order to fire a bullet to perfectly compensate for the effect of gravity on the bullet during the course of its flight over a given time and distance. Using standard kinematic equations, I have come up with the following:

-1/2gt^2 + Vi * t = Dv

g = acceleration due to gravity, 9.8
t = time
Vi = initial upward velocity
Dv = total vertical displacement

My thought was that simply making Dv equal to 0 and solving for Vi, I could determine the initial upward velocity I would need to counteract the downward acceleration due to gravity like so:

-1/2gt^2 + Vi * t = 0
-Vi * t = -1/2gt^2
Vi = 1/2gt

I then figured I could combine this number with the total magnitude of the bullet's initial velocity (the bullet's muzzle velocity) and use a little trigonometry to determine the angle like so:

θ = asin(Vi/V)

This produces an angle that seems fairly reasonable, but when I plug it into a ballistics simulation I'm using, the result is that the bullet actually falls slightly below the point of aim. The longer the distance/time, the more pronounced the error becomes. At distances beyond 600 meters, the error starts to become very substantial.

I feel like I must be missing something. Anyone have any ideas?

How sophisticated is you ballistic simulator? does it include friction?

turbo said:
If you want to understand ballistics, you must understand that bullet-drop is proportional to the horizontal component of the bullet's trajectory. If you are a hunter shooting at a deer, do you aim high or low when the deer is up-slope from you? How about when the deer is downhill from you? In each case, the horizontal component of the shot is reduced. Does this help?
In both cases, you would need to aim lower than you would at the same distance on flat terrain. However, I am not sure how this ties into my bullet drop compensation calculation.

dauto said:
How sophisticated is you ballistic simulator? does it include friction?
It includes a basic air friction model, yes. The calculation for air friction is as follows:

a = -kv^2

a = acceleration due to air friction
v = instantaneous velocity of the bullet
k = a constant (based on bullet size/shape)

This can be integrated twice to arrive at the formula for time of flight, which is as follows:

t = (1/(V * k)) * (exp(D * k) - 1)

V = muzzle velocity (total initial velocity)
D = distance to point of aim
exp = the exponential function (e to the power of...)

I have verified that the formula for time is accurate within the simulation.

Dux said:
In both cases, you would need to aim lower than you would at the same distance on flat terrain. However, I am not sure how this ties into my bullet drop compensation calculation.

It includes a basic air friction model, yes. The calculation for air friction is as follows:

a = -kv^2

This can be integrated twice to arrive at the formula for time of flight, which is as follows:

I have verified that the formula for time is accurate within the simulation.

I'm not sure if this will be the answer, but I just want to make sure you're aware of an approximation you've made. Technically, the air resistance force isn't purely horizontal; it will point opposite to the instantaneous velocity. You've implicitly assumed within both of your calculations (in this post and your original post) that the friction force is purely horizontal even though the bullet's velocity has a vertical component.

Now, that might very well be a reasonable approximation since I'm assuming the bullet's trajectory is pretty close to horizontal. However, it might be worth doing a little estimation just to make sure your assumption is actually reasonable. I would personally calculate the vertical and horizontal components of the friction force as the bullet leaves the barrel, just to get some idea of how big those forces are. You're neglecting the vertical friction force in your calculations, so you should hope that it's small compared to the other forces involved (like gravity). Here's exactly what I would calculate:

Let θ be the inital angle and V the initial muzzle velocity. V you should know, and pick the largest reasonable value of θ you would ever expect to see based on your calculations so far. Then the initial friction force will have magnitude

Ffric,tot = mkV2

and it will point opposite to the initial velocity vector (at angle θ). So, initially, the vertical component of the friction force will be

Ffric,vert = mkV2 sin(θ)

and the horizontal component will be

Ffric,hor = mkV2 cos(θ)

and the gravitational force will, of course, be

Fgrav = mg

Now, pick some value of the mass m (it doesn't actually matter here... m=1 is probably the easiest) and calculate those four forces Ffric,tot, Ffric,vert, Ffric,hor, Fgrav for the largest value of θ you would expect to see. If your approximation is correct, you should find that:

Ffric,vert is very small compared to Fgrav
Ffric,hor is almost equal to Ffric,tot

If you find that either of those things are not true, then your implicit approximation that the friction force is purely horizontal is probably not a good approximation, in which case you'll probably end up with an ugly differential equation to solve...

Again, I don't know if that's going to fix your problem, but it might be worth checking.

Last edited:
@thegreenlaser:
Thanks for bringing that up. You're right, but the kind of angles we're talking about here are typically less than one degree; the drag in the downward direction is negligible. I have tried adjusting for it in the simulation, but it doesn't have a noticeable effect on the results.

Unless I'm missing something, this is really quite simple.

Your model is a pure ballistic trajectory - no drag. Your simulation includes drag. Therefore, at long ranges, the travel time will be significantly longer for your simulation than for your mathematical model, resulting in significantly more drop.

cjl said:
Unless I'm missing something, this is really quite simple.

Your model is a pure ballistic trajectory - no drag. Your simulation includes drag. Therefore, at long ranges, the travel time will be significantly longer for your simulation than for your mathematical model, resulting in significantly more drop.

The travel time calculation I am using (see above) accounts for drag. It's actually based on the equation that the simulation engine uses for drag.

Can you compare your simulation program with a different one? I would expect the program is using numerical integration to find the path of the bullet. AFAIK there is no "exact" solution, except for a few things like your formula for the time of travel (and that formula ignores gravity, though if you are only have angles of 1 degree, from a straight line path, that might not be too important).

There are plenty of poor ways to do numerical integration - in fact people get taught some of them in physics and engineering "numerical methods" courses, judging by some of the questions on PF! Being an expert on ballistics doesn't necessarily make someone an expert on numerical methods as well.

Along those lines, if you rearrange your equations into a form ##\dot{y} = f(t,y)## something simple like a 4-th order Runge-Kutta method should be a decent starting point. (If you have access to MATLAB, ode45 is a great generic numerical solver for initial value problems.)

I would probably derive the vector kinematics using curvilinear coordinates for my equations of motion instead of using the simplistic projectile motion equations.

You may wish to look at this thread where a similar question was considered.

The analysis should work fine if the target is within a few degrees of horizontal.

AM

jhae2.718 said:
Along those lines, if you rearrange your equations into a form ##\dot{y} = f(t,y)## something simple like a 4-th order Runge-Kutta method should be a decent starting point. (If you have access to MATLAB, ode45 is a great generic numerical solver for initial value problems.)

I would probably derive the vector kinematics using curvilinear coordinates for my equations of motion instead of using the simplistic projectile motion equations.
All of this was pretty much over my head. Could you break this down a little further?

Andrew Mason said:
You may wish to look at this thread where a similar question was considered.

The analysis should work fine if the target is within a few degrees of horizontal.

AM
Your equation in the last post of this thread is essentially exactly what I've been using, but it produces an angle that is too small (close to accurate at shorter ranges, but substantially off once bullet flight times come up to a full second or more). I can't figure out why that is.

Dux said:
Your equation in the last post of this thread is essentially exactly what I've been using, but it produces an angle that is too small (close to accurate at shorter ranges, but substantially off once bullet flight times come up to a full second or more). I can't figure out why that is.
How are you determining flight time? You cannot use range/muzzle velocity.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
How are you determining flight time? You cannot use range/muzzle velocity.

AM

Flight time is determined by the following equation:

exp = the exponential function (e to the power of...)That equation was derived from the equation that the simulation uses to determine (negative) acceleration due to drag:

a = -kv^2

k = a constant (based on bullet size/shape)I've verified that the time of flight equation is accurate.

Dux said:
Flight time is determined by the following equation:

That equation was derived from the equation that the simulation uses to determine (negative) acceleration due to drag:

a = -kv^2

I've verified that the time of flight equation is accurate.
Drag has to be measured. There many factors / conditions that can influence drag. The only way to verify your equation is find a way of actually measuring time of flight. If the bullet is stable during flight, bullet drop is actually a pretty good way to measure flight time. The time of flight is just: $$ t = \sqrt{\frac{2s}{g}} $$ where s is the vertical drop.

If the bullet is not stable (i.e. it yaws during flight) it will prescribe a spiral path so drop will not be consistent.

AM

Related to How Do You Calculate the Correct Aiming Angle to Compensate for Bullet Drop?

1. What is bullet drop and why do I need to compensate for it?

Bullet drop is the phenomenon where a bullet's trajectory decreases in height as it travels through the air. This is because of the force of gravity pulling the bullet downward. Compensating for bullet drop is necessary to ensure accuracy and hit your target.

2. How do I determine the amount of bullet drop for a specific bullet?

The amount of bullet drop can be determined by factors such as the velocity of the bullet, the angle of the shot, and the distance to the target. There are also ballistics calculators and charts available that can help you calculate the amount of bullet drop for a specific bullet and shooting conditions.

3. What are the different methods for compensating for bullet drop?

There are several methods for compensating for bullet drop, including adjusting the sights or scope, using holdovers or holdunders, and adjusting the angle of the shot. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to practice and find what works best for you.

4. Does the type of ammunition affect bullet drop?

Yes, the type of ammunition can have an impact on bullet drop. Different types of bullets have different weights, shapes, and velocities, which can all affect the amount of bullet drop. It is important to test and adjust for bullet drop when using different types of ammunition.

5. How can environmental factors affect bullet drop compensation?

Environmental factors such as wind, temperature, and air pressure can all affect bullet drop and the amount of compensation needed. It is important to take these factors into consideration when compensating for bullet drop and adjust accordingly.