Calculating the work done in an electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of various equations in finding the work done over a distance in an electric field. It is noted that these equations only apply when the electric field is constant, otherwise calculus is needed to find the equation. The conversation also mentions the use of derivatives and provides an example of how it relates to the equations. The final equation, V = kQ/r, is derived using calculus and is shown to be related to the previous equations.
Biker

Homework Statement

It is not an actual questions, Just misconceptions
For example,
Lets find the work done over a distance in an electric field

Homework Equations

v = PE/q
E = F/q
F = k q1 q2 /r^2
W = fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't study calculus yet but I am going to because I need to get to know these equations.

I know that I can't use the formula w = f d because obviously the f varies if I don't have a uniform EF
these equations only take place when the electric field is constant otherwise I need to use calculus to find the equation because the forces varies with distance.

So in V = PE/C
I can't just substitute PE with F d... so if you are able to put the proof of V = kq/r (If it is related to calculus) that would be great so I can check it when I am done with calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you already know a bit about derivatives ? If you know that $${d\over dx} {1\over x} = -{1\over x^2}$$you can see that that kind of matches ## V = {kQ\over r} ## and ##E = - k {Q\over r^2 }##.

Indeed $$V(r_2) - V(r_1) = \int_{r_1}^{r_2} F(r)\, dr = -k Q \int_{r_1}^{r_2} {1\over r^2} \, dr = -kQ \left [- {1\over r} \right ]_{r_1}^{r_2} = k{Q \over r_2} - k{Q\over r_1}$$

Likes Biker

Related to Calculating the work done in an electric field

What is "work done" in an electric field?

The work done in an electric field refers to the amount of energy required to move an electric charge from one point to another against the electric field. It is measured in joules (J) and is dependent on the strength of the electric field and the distance the charge is moved.

How is work done calculated in an electric field?

The work done in an electric field is calculated using the equation W = q * ΔV, where W is the work done in joules, q is the electric charge in coulombs, and ΔV is the change in electric potential in volts.

What is the relationship between work done and electric potential?

Work done and electric potential are directly related. The electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy a unit charge has at a certain point in the electric field. The work done to move a charge between two points is equal to the change in electric potential energy of that charge.

Can work be done without an electric field?

Yes, work can be done without an electric field. Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one form to another, and it can occur in various forms such as mechanical, thermal, or chemical energy. However, in the context of electric fields, work is specifically referring to the transfer of energy caused by an electric force.

What factors affect the amount of work done in an electric field?

The amount of work done in an electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance the charge is moved, and the magnitude of the electric charge. The work done will increase as the electric field or distance increases, and it will also increase with a larger electric charge.