Calculating the value of 1/{D^2+a^2} sin ax

• Thread starter vish_maths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin Value
In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods for solving an equation involving exponential and polynomial functions. The first method yields a different result from the second method, but both are valid solutions to the equation. The discrepancy may be due to an additional solution found in the first method. However, as the equation is a second-order differential equation, there should be two linearly independent solutions, and both methods provide these solutions.
vish_maths
Homework Statement
I have tried calculating using two different methods and both of them yield different results. Could someone please pinpoint any error in Method 1 which I might be making. **My textbook uses method 2.** Thanks a lot for your help
Relevant Equations
1/(D-b) e^(bx) = x e^(bx)
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-03 at 4.58.15 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-03 at 4.58.15 PM (1).jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{D+ia}e^{iax}=\frac{D-ia}{D^2+a^2}e^{iax}=0[/tex]

Thanks for the reply. But, Don't we have the relation $$\dfrac {1}{f(D)}e^{cx} = \dfrac{1}{f(c)} e^{cx},~f(c) \ne 0$$

[tex](D+c)e^{cx}=2ce^{cx}[/tex]
I do not think your equation holds.

mitochan said:
[tex](D+c)e^{cx}=2ce^{cx}[/tex]
I do not think your equation holds.

Sorry I meant Don't we have the relation $$\dfrac {1}{f(D)}e^{cx} = \dfrac{1}{f(c)} e^{cx},~f(c) \ne 0$$

Likes mitochan
[tex]De^{cx}=ce^{cx}[/tex]
[tex]D^ne^{cx}=c^ne^{cx}[/tex]
So
[tex]f(D)e^{cx}=f(c)e^{cx}[/tex]
where polynomial f(x)
[tex]f(x)=\sum a_n x^n[/tex]

So I find my previous comments wrong.

[tex](D^2+a^2)y=0[/tex] is a equation of harmnic oscillation so it has a general solution
[tex]y=A \sin ax + B \cos ax[/tex]
which can be added to the solution of your method II.

Last edited:
vish_maths said:
Homework Statement:: I have tried calculating using two different methods and both of them yield different results. Could someone please pinpoint any error in Method 1 which I might be making. **My textbook uses method 2.** Thanks a lot for your help
Relevant Equations:: 1/(D-b) e^(bx) = x e^(bx)

View attachment 256543View attachment 256544
Why do you think you've done anything wrong? Have you checked your answer?

I must admit I'm not familiar with this technique, but you have picked up an additional solution to the homogeneous equation.

Given this is a second-order DE, there ought to be two linearly independent solutions.

You have them both; the book method finds only one.

Likes mitochan

Related to Calculating the value of 1/{D^2+a^2} sin ax

1. What is the formula for calculating the value of 1/{D^2+a^2} sin ax?

The formula for calculating the value of 1/{D^2+a^2} sin ax is (1/{D^2+a^2}) * sin(ax).

2. How does this formula relate to the concept of resonance in physics?

This formula is commonly used in physics to calculate the resonance frequency of a system. The term 1/{D^2+a^2} represents the damping factor of the system, while sin ax represents the driving force. When the value of 1/{D^2+a^2} is at its minimum, the system experiences maximum resonance.

3. What do D and a represent in this formula?

In this formula, D represents the damping coefficient of the system and a represents the natural frequency of the system.

4. How does the value of D affect the overall value of the formula?

The value of D affects the overall value of the formula by influencing the damping factor of the system. A higher value of D will result in a higher damping factor, which will decrease the resonance frequency of the system.

5. Can this formula be applied to all types of systems in physics?

Yes, this formula can be applied to a wide range of systems in physics, including mechanical, electrical, and acoustic systems. It is commonly used to analyze the behavior of systems under harmonic excitation.