Calculating the time taken for the step response of a system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time for the output temperature to change by 80% in a block diagram with a transfer function of (K/1+ts) and given values for k1, k2, k3, and k4. The attempt at a solution uses the equation y=K(1-e^(-T/t)), but there are discrepancies in the values of K and t. After further clarification, it is determined that the steady state value for y is not 1, so the solution is incorrect. The correct solution involves finding the time when y is 80% of the final value.
MattH150197

Homework Statement

I have worked out the transfer function of a block diagram in 1st order form To = (K/1+ts) and the 2nd part of the question asks to calculate the time for the output temperature to change by 80% when k1=1, k2=2, k3=3 and k4=4

Homework Equations

where K = (k1k2)/(k1k2k4+k2k3) and t= 1/(k1k2k4+k2k3)

The Attempt at a Solution

So K = 0.2 and t = 0.1 and i thought that the equation to do this would be y=K(1-e^(-T/t)) giving 0.8=0.2(1-e^(-T/0.1)) but this doesn't work can anyone see where I am going wrong? Is the y=K(1-e^(-T/t)) right? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Presuming that your transfer function represents the impulse response, then your solution form is correct for the step response.

Check your values for ##K## and ##\tau##. If your k values are as you've specified and the formulas for ##K## and ##\tau## are correct, I don't get the same values that you do.

The final (steady state) value for y will be equal to ##K##. So you're looking for the time when y is 80% of that final value.

sorry K4 = 2 and if the solution is correct how come i get T = 0.109 seconds, on the booklet it says it should be 0.16 seconds however it doesn't show the methodology of it, but i noticed taking K completely out of the equation would give that answer, is that just a coincidence

MattH150197 said:
sorry K4 = 2 and if the solution is correct how come i get T = 0.109 seconds, on the booklet it says it should be 0.16 seconds however it doesn't show the methodology of it, but i noticed taking K completely out of the equation would give that answer, is that just a coincidence
I didn't say that your solution was correct, I said that its form was correct. I should have been more clear about that, for which I apologize.

The steady state value for y is not 1, so 0.8 does not represent 80% of the final value...

ah okay i got it now, thanks!

Related to Calculating the time taken for the step response of a system

What is a step response?

A step response is a measurement of how a system reacts to a sudden change in its input or setpoint. It is commonly used to analyze the performance of control systems.

How is the time taken for the step response of a system calculated?

The time taken for the step response of a system is typically calculated by measuring the time it takes for the system to reach a certain percentage of its final value. This percentage is usually 90% or 95%, and the time measured is called the rise time.

What factors can affect the time taken for the step response of a system?

The time taken for the step response of a system can be affected by various factors such as the complexity and dynamics of the system, the input or setpoint used, and the control parameters being used.

Why is it important to calculate the time taken for the step response of a system?

Calculating the time taken for the step response of a system allows us to evaluate the performance of the system and make any necessary adjustments to improve its behavior. It also helps in predicting and understanding the system's response to different inputs or disturbances.

Are there any limitations to calculating the time taken for the step response of a system?

Yes, there are limitations to this calculation. It assumes that the system is linear and time-invariant, which may not always be the case. It also does not account for any external disturbances or noise that may affect the system's response.