Calculating the tesion in a string holding a 1 meter stick

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tension in a meterstick hanging from two short strings. The initial mass and length of the meterstick are given and the tension is calculated using a free body diagram and torque calculations. The conversation also mentions the use of integral calculus and the calculation of angular acceleration.
saurabheights
A meterstick (L = 1 m) has a mass of m = 0.13 kg. Initially it hangs from two short strings: one at the 25 cm mark and one at the 75 cm mark.

What is the tension in the left string right after the right string is cut?

Calculating the free body diagram where we put the acceleration of center of mass of the plank, mg and T.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Consider torques about the point where the left string attaches to the stick.

Yeah did that. I first calculated torque about the left string using integral calculas over a thin piece of stick at distance x. The total torque calculated was MGL/4. Then calculated Inertia. It came out to be 7ML^2/48. Then, I calculated angular acceleration as = 7g/12L.

Finally, I calculated tension using free body diagram → T-mg+ ∫(dm * α * x) = 0
→T-mg+∫(M/L*α*x.dx) = 0
where x went from -0.25 to +0.75.

T = mg-∫(ML*dm/L*x.dx)

Is this the correct solution?

saurabheights said:
Yeah did that. I first calculated torque about the left string using integral calculas over a thin piece of stick at distance x. The total torque calculated was MGL/4. Then calculated Inertia. It came out to be 7ML^2/48.
Good.
Then, I calculated angular acceleration as = 7g/12L.
Redo that calculation.

Finally, I calculated tension using free body diagram → T-mg+ ∫(dm * α * x) = 0
Not sure what you are doing here or what that last term represents.

Just use: ƩF = ma

I would approach this question by first identifying the forces acting on the meterstick. These include its weight (mg), the tension in the left string (T), and the tension in the right string (T').

Next, I would draw a free body diagram to represent these forces and their respective directions. Since the meterstick is initially at rest, we can assume that the acceleration of its center of mass is zero. Therefore, the net force acting on the meterstick must also be zero according to Newton's Second Law (F=ma).

From the diagram, we can see that the weight of the meterstick is acting downwards and is balanced by the tension in the left and right strings. Since the right string is cut, the tension in that string becomes zero and the weight of the meterstick is now only balanced by the tension in the left string.

Using Newton's Second Law, we can set up the following equation: ΣF = 0 = T - mg. Solving for T, we get T = mg = (0.13 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 1.274 N.

Therefore, the tension in the left string right after the right string is cut is approximately 1.274 N. It is important to note that this is only an approximation as there may be other factors such as the mass distribution of the meterstick and the elasticity of the strings that could affect the actual tension. Further experimentation and calculations would be needed to determine a more accurate value.

Related to Calculating the tesion in a string holding a 1 meter stick

1. How do you calculate the tension in a string holding a 1 meter stick?

The tension in a string holding a 1 meter stick can be calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the stick, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the stick.

2. What is the unit of measurement for tension?

The unit of measurement for tension is Newtons (N). This is a unit of force and is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s^2.

3. Does the length of the string affect the tension in a 1 meter stick?

Yes, the length of the string does affect the tension in a 1 meter stick. The longer the string, the higher the tension will be, as there is more distance for the force to act over.

4. How does the mass of the 1 meter stick affect the tension in the string?

The mass of the 1 meter stick does affect the tension in the string. As the mass of the stick increases, the tension in the string will also increase, as there is more weight pulling down on the string.

5. Can you use this formula to calculate the tension in any string holding any object?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the tension in any string holding any object, as long as the mass and acceleration of the object are known. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes the string is in a state of equilibrium, meaning it is not accelerating or moving.