Calculating the Sum of Infinite Series: 2^k/k! Method

In summary, the person is asking for help in finding the sum of the infinite series 2^k/k! and mentions that it is not a geometric series. They also consider using the Taylor expansion of e^x and clarify that this is a power series. They eventually realize that this can be used to find the closed form for the Taylor series of e^2.
apiwowar
how would i go about finding the sum of the infinite series 2^k/k!?

its not a geometric so i can't use the formulas for that so i really have no clue.

any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to know the taylor expansion of e^x.

i was thinking that but could that work since that's not a power series?

apiwowar said:
i was thinking that but could that work since that's not a power series?

The taylor expansion of e^x IS a power series. It's not geometric, I'm not sure what you are worried about.

wait nevermind, i was confusing myself.
so what I am talking about would be the closed form for the taylor series e^2 then, right?

apiwowar said:
wait nevermind, i was confusing myself.
so what I am talking about would be the closed form for the taylor series e^2 then, right?

I don't see anything wrong with that.

thanks

Related to Calculating the Sum of Infinite Series: 2^k/k! Method

What is a sum of infinite series?

A sum of infinite series is the sum of all terms in a sequence that continues infinitely. This means that there is no specific end point or final term in the sequence.

How do you find the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series can be found using various methods such as the geometric series formula, telescoping series, or convergence tests. Each method may be more suitable for different types of series.

Can the sum of an infinite series be finite?

Yes, the sum of an infinite series can be finite. This occurs when the terms in the series decrease in value as the series progresses, eventually approaching zero. In this case, the sum can be calculated by taking the limit of the series.

What is the importance of understanding infinite series?

Understanding infinite series is crucial in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows for the analysis and prediction of continuous processes and phenomena, and is used in many real-world applications.

Are there any real-life examples of infinite series?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of infinite series. Some common examples include calculating compound interest, estimating the value of pi, and predicting population growth. Infinite series can also be used in physics to model natural processes such as radioactive decay.