Calculating the Specific Heat of a Solution with NaCl and H2O

In summary, it is possible to calculate the freezing point depression of a solution of H2O and NaCl. If the concentration of NaCl is negligible, then the freezing point depression is a function of temperature only, and is equal to the difference of the melting points of pure water and NaCl. If the concentration of NaCl is significant, then the freezing point depression also depends on the concentration of NaCl, and is a function of both temperature and NaCl concentration.
joaquinjbs
It's possible to calculate the latent heats of fusion and the specific heat of a solution of H2O and NaCl?

fig6_1_1.gif

In some cases, it would have two latent heats of fusion? For example, at 10% NaCl, one at -21ºC and another at -5ºC?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, the heat of fusion will be a function of the concentration of the brine.

Thank you DrDu. I guess that heat of fusion will be at -21ºC, but If I have 10% of NaCl, would I have another different heat of fusion at -5ºC, or it would be the same?

joaquinjbs said:
In some cases, it would have two latent heats of fusion? For example, at 10% NaCl, one at -21ºC and another at -5ºC?
Thanks!
With a 10% solution there is no NaCl formation at either of these two temperatures. The heat of fusion comes into the calculation only on the line between brine and brine + NaCl .

Likes Serena
BvU said:
With a 10% solution there is no NaCl formation at either of these two temperatures. The heat of fusion comes into the calculation only on the line between brine and brine + NaCl .

Well, thank you BvU. But for me it's interested what happened on the left of eutectic point. I could calculate the latent heat of fusion of ice+brine?

You form ice and the composition moves towards the eutectic point when cooling further.

You can do so, at least for 0% concentration. For very small concentrations, the chemical potential of water in the liquid phase follows Raoult's law ##\mu_l(T,x)=\mu_{l0}(T)+RT \ln(x)## where x is the molar fraction of water in brine. Pressure is constant, so I don't mention it any further. The chemical potential of the solid phase, which consists of pure ice, is ##\mu_s(T)## and depends only on temperature. Now on the melting curve, ##\Delta G=\mu_l(T,x)-\mu_s(T)=0##. We can now use a Taylor expansion for ##\mu(T,x)## around ##\mu(T_0,1)##, where ##T_0## is the melting point of pure ice. We know that ##\partial \Delta G/\partial T|_{P,x}=\Delta S=\Delta H/T_0## and ## \partial \Delta G/\partial x|_{T_0,P}=-RT_0 (1-x)##. So ##0=\Delta G=(\Delta H/T_0)\cdot \Delta T -RT(1-x)## or
##\Delta H=RT_0^2(1-x)/\Delta T##. In the calculation of x, you have to take into account that NaCl will dissociate into sodium and chloride ions.

Likes joaquinjbs
DrDu said:
You can do so, at least for 0% concentration. For very small concentrations, the chemical potential of water in the liquid phase follows Raoult's law ##\mu_l(T,x)=\mu_{l0}(T)+RT \ln(x)## where x is the molar fraction of water in brine. Pressure is constant, so I don't mention it any further. The chemical potential of the solid phase, which consists of pure ice, is ##\mu_s(T)## and depends only on temperature. Now on the melting curve, ##\Delta G=\mu_l(T,x)-\mu_s(T)=0##. We can now use a Taylor expansion for ##\mu(T,x)## around ##\mu(T_0,1)##, where ##T_0## is the melting point of pure ice. We know that ##\partial \Delta G/\partial T|_{P,x}=\Delta S=\Delta H/T_0## and ## \partial \Delta G/\partial x|_{T_0,P}=-RT_0 (1-x)##. So ##0=\Delta G=(\Delta H/T_0)\cdot \Delta T -RT(1-x)## or
##\Delta H=RT_0^2(1-x)/\Delta T##. In the calculation of x, you have to take into account that NaCl will dissociate into sodium and chloride ions.
Ok, thank you very much!

DrDu said:
I have been thinking about this all day, but I'm not able to resolve the problem. If you don't mind, could you show me an example?

Than you.

Last edited:
Basically, the final result I derived is the formula for freezing point depression. Every book on physical chemistry should contain a discussion.

DrDu said:
Basically, the final result I derived is the formula for freezing point depression. Every book on physical chemistry should contain a discussion.
Thank you, but I'm going to do with an practical experiment. Even so I'll try to resolve the formula.

A first step would be to convert weight percent to molar fraction.

DrDu said:

Well I'm back! I would like to resolve this exercise so...

For example, applying this formula to a solution with 10 wt% NaCl (0.17 mol NaCl), which has a T0 = 268 K, ΔT = 1 K and R = 8.31 J/(molK); I have ΔH = 495392 J

Now with n = 1 mol, and ΔT = 1 K:
Cp = ΔH/(nΔT) = 495392 J/(molK) → 8470*103 J/(KgK)

So this would be the specific heat of a solution with 10 wt% NaCl in water at -5 ºC. But this huge number has no sense... something I'm doing wrong, could you help me?

Related to Calculating the Specific Heat of a Solution with NaCl and H2O

What is specific heat of solution?

The specific heat of solution is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance by one degree Celsius when it is dissolved in a solvent.

How is specific heat of solution measured?

Specific heat of solution is measured by conducting a calorimetric experiment, where the initial and final temperatures of the solution are recorded and used to calculate the heat absorbed or released.

What factors affect the specific heat of solution?

The specific heat of solution is affected by the type of solute and solvent, concentration of the solution, and temperature. It also varies with pressure and can be influenced by the presence of impurities.

Why is specific heat of solution important?

Specific heat of solution is important in various industrial and scientific processes, such as in designing cooling systems, determining the energy requirements for chemical reactions, and understanding the behavior of solutions in different environments.

How does specific heat of solution differ from specific heat capacity?

Specific heat of solution is the measure of heat needed to change the temperature of a solution, while specific heat capacity is the measure of heat needed to change the temperature of a pure substance. Specific heat of solution takes into account the heat required for both dissolution and temperature change, while specific heat capacity only considers temperature change.