Calculating the Solid Angle Subtended by a Disc: How to Find ω?

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the solid angle ω subtended by a disc of radius a at a point P located at a distance z along its axis. The semi-vertical angle α of the disc at point P was also mentioned. According to an online text, the answer is ω = 2π (1 - cos α). However, the speaker found that ω = (Area) / (perpendicular distance)^2 = (πa^2)/z^2 = π tan^2α. They marked their answer in red, while the "correct" answer was marked in blue. Further clarification was requested on the definition of "Area" and how to calculate it.
brotherbobby
The problem is to find out the solid angle ω subtended by a disc of radius a at a point P distant z from its centre along its axis. α is the semi-vertical angle of the disc at the point P in question.

The answer is supposed to be ω = 2π (1 - cos α), according to an online text. However, I find that ω = (Area) / (perpendicular distance)2 = (πa2)/z2 = π tan2α.

I mark my answer in red, in contrast to the "correct" answer in blue.

Any help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"Area" is not the area of the disc, but the area delimited by the disk on the surface of the sphere with the center in P.

Thanks mate.

Now how do I find this area?

I think it is a good exercise to calculate it:

800px-Spherical_Cap.svg.png
800px-Spherical_Cap.svg.png

Likes SHREYAN SAHA

Related to Calculating the Solid Angle Subtended by a Disc: How to Find ω?

What is solid angle subtended by disc?

The solid angle subtended by a disc is the measure of the amount of space that the disc takes up when viewed from a given point in space. It is a three-dimensional measurement of the angle that the disc occupies.

How is solid angle subtended by disc calculated?

The solid angle subtended by disc is calculated using the formula Ω = A/r^2, where Ω is the solid angle, A is the area of the disc, and r is the distance between the disc and the given point in space. This formula is based on the concept of the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of something decreases as the square of the distance from the source increases.

Why is solid angle subtended by disc important?

Solid angle subtended by disc is an important concept in various fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and optics. It is used to calculate the amount of light or radiation that is received from a source, and is also used in the design and analysis of optical systems.

How does solid angle subtended by disc differ from solid angle subtended by other shapes?

Solid angle subtended by disc is unique because it is a two-dimensional shape that is measured in three-dimensional space. Other shapes, such as spheres or cones, are measured in their own dimensions and do not directly relate to the amount of space they occupy in three-dimensional space.

What are some real-life applications of solid angle subtended by disc?

Some real-life applications of solid angle subtended by disc include calculating the brightness and intensity of light from stars in astronomy, determining the field of view of a camera or telescope in optics, and measuring the amount of radiation received from a radioactive source in nuclear physics.