Calculating the Mass of a High-Speed Moving Proton Experimentally

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativistic mass and its use in calculating the mass of a proton moving at high speeds experimentally. The experts clarify that the term "relativistic mass" is deprecated and no longer used in scientific contexts. The mass of a proton is now defined as its rest mass and does not depend on its motion. The method of measuring the energy and controlling the protons' movement in the Large Hadron Collider is mentioned as a way to experimentally verify the mass of a moving proton.
steph17
how is a mass of a proton moving at a high speed calculated experimentally?

Physics news on Phys.org
steph17 said:
how is a mass of a proton moving at a high speed calculated experimentally?
"calculated" is not the same as "experimentally". Which are you asking about?

EDIT: damn. I did what I frequently do. You have said "proton" and I saw it as "photon"

Last edited:
There is nothing to calculate, the mass of a proton does not depend on its motion

mfb said:
There is nothing to calculate, the mass of a proton does not depend on its motion
I'm assuming he's referring to "relativistic mass". And yes I know that's a seriously deprecated term which is why I put it in quotes, but I don't know what else to call it. Momentum, perhaps?

OOPS: I see now he's talking about protons, not photons. Forget I said anything o:)

Last edited:
In the LHC the proton "mass" must include the relativistic correction to make it work.

Likes steph17
The concept of relativistic mass was used decades ago, then scientists got rid of it because it just leads to weird consequences without helping anywhere.
"Mass" now always means "rest mass" and does not depend on the motion of the object.

@mathman: No. You just need energy, momentum, the fixed proton mass of ~938 MeV and relativistic mechanics.

Likes steph17
Rather than turning this into a discussion on what we think the OP means, wouldn't it be better to wait for the follow-up? "Calculated experimentally" makes no sense, so let's see what is actually meant.

Last edited:
Likes steph17
i do mean the relativistic mass, there is a formula for the correction of mass for proton or some other particle moving at velocity comparable to that of the light's, how is it verified experimentally? do they measure the force exerted by the proton in some way or change in its momentum and thereby calculate the mass?

mfb said:
The concept of relativistic mass was used decades ago, then scientists got rid of it because it just leads to weird consequences without helping anywhere.
"Mass" now always means "rest mass" and does not depend on the motion of the object.
i didnt know that

They measure the energy - the deflection in the dipole magnets depends on the energy and you have to control it very precisely otherwise the protons crash into the inner or outer wall - the protons follow a ring with a diameter of about 8 km, and a deviation of 1 cm would mean they get lost.

Likes steph17

Related to Calculating the Mass of a High-Speed Moving Proton Experimentally

1. How do you calculate the mass of a high-speed moving proton experimentally?

The mass of a high-speed moving proton can be calculated experimentally by using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. This involves measuring the velocity and trajectory of the proton, then using equations such as the relativistic momentum equation and the kinetic energy equation to calculate the mass.

2. What equipment is needed for this experiment?

To calculate the mass of a high-speed moving proton experimentally, you will need a particle accelerator, a detector to measure the velocity and trajectory of the proton, and various instruments for data collection and analysis.

3. What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include measurement errors in the velocity and trajectory of the proton, external forces such as air resistance affecting the movement of the proton, and uncertainties in the equations and constants used to calculate the mass.

4. How does this experiment contribute to our understanding of particle physics?

This experiment contributes to our understanding of particle physics by providing a way to measure the mass of a high-speed moving proton, which is an essential parameter in many fundamental theories and models in physics. It also helps us validate and improve our current understanding of these theories and models.

5. Can this experiment be applied to other particles?

Yes, the principles and methods used in this experiment can be applied to other particles as well, such as electrons, neutrons, and other subatomic particles. However, the specific equations and techniques may vary depending on the properties of the particle being studied.