Calculating the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving determining the magnetic field in the center of a closed loop of wire with a clockwise current. The homework equations used are Ampere's Law and Biot-Savart Law. One person was able to calculate the field using Biot-Savart Law, but had trouble using Ampere's Law because the current enclosed was 0. They also discuss the direction of the magnetic field at the center of the wire-loop.
aftershock

Homework Statement

I basically have a closed loop of wire with a current flowing through it clockwise. I need to determine the magnetic field in the center, along the z-axis.

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law and Biot-Savart Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Biot-Savart Law I actually pretty easily calculated the field and it was correct. (sorry for not typing out formulas but the math symbols seem to be giving me trouble and I don't think I need to).

But if I use Ampere's law, then as soon as I place an amperean loop in the middle of the wire the I enclosed is 0, leading me to believe there should be no magnetic field within the wire. How am I using Ampere's law wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What direction is the magnetic field going at the center of the wire-loop?
And just because there's no current enclosed doesn't mean there's no magnetic field... just no net field along (and in the direction of) the amperian loop.

Related to Calculating the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire

What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire is B = (μ0*I)/(2*R), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and R is the radius of the loop.

How do you determine the direction of the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire?

The direction of the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire?

The strength of the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire is affected by the current flowing through the wire, the radius of the loop, and the permeability of the material inside the loop. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

Can the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire be negative?

No, the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire cannot be negative. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the magnetic field can be reversed, but it cannot have a negative magnitude.

How can the magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire be used in practical applications?

The magnetic field inside a closed loop of wire can be used in a variety of practical applications, including electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines in the medical field.