Calculating the Line Integral for the Intersection of Two Surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the line integral of the curve C, given by the intersection of two surfaces, using the standard parameterization of a circle in the x-z plane. The conversation also includes a clarification on the geometric figures described by the given equations and a summary of the steps involved in solving the problem.
santais

Homework Statement

Observe the curve C, which is given as the intersection between the surfaces:

x2+z2=1

and

y = x2

Calculate

[itex]\int_c{\sqrt{1+4x^2 z^2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

So basicly I'm completely lost on this assignment. So far I can see, that [itex]x^2+z^2=1[/itex] describes a circle in x-z plane. And [itex]y = x^2[/itex] is just a parabolic in the y plane.

So my guess that the limits would go from 0 >= θ >= 2Pi and 0 >= r >= 1, once it has been rewritten in polar coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I havn't been able to get going. The thing is, that makes this troublesome, is that the circle in the x-z plane opposite the x-y plane, which it usually is in, in an assignment.

Hope there is some of you out there, that could give me a hint to get going:)

Physics news on Phys.org
First, no, [itex]x^2+ z^2= 1[/itex] does NOT describe a circle in the x-z plane. That would be if y= 0 but since there is no y in the equation, y can be anything. The equation describes a circular cylinder with axis along the y axis. Similarly, [itex]y= x^2[/itex] is a parabolic cylinder extending along the z-direction. In general, a single equation in three dimensions describes a surface, not a curve.

Of course, the intersection of those two surfaces is a curve. With [itex]x^2+ z^2= 1[/itex] and [itex]y= x^2[/itex], we can immediately see that [itex]y+ z^2= 1[/itex] of [itex]y= 1- z^2[/itex].

So we could use z itself as parameter though in that case we would have to do it as two separate integrals:
1) [itex]x= \sqrt{1- t^2}[/itex], [itex]y= 1- t^2[/itex], [itex]z= t[/itex] and
2) [itex]x= -\sqrt{1- t^2}[/itex], [itex]y= 1- t^2[/itex], [itex]z= t[/itex]

It might be better to use the "standard" circle parameterization:
[itex]x= cos(t)[/itex], [itex]y= 1- sin^2(t)[/itex], [itex]z= sin(t)[/itex].

Here's an extension from HallsofIvy's advice:
[tex]\int_C{\sqrt{1+4x^2 z^2}}\,.ds[/tex] where C is the curve [itex]y= 1- z^2[/itex]
Now, to find [itex]ds[/itex]:
[tex]ds= \sqrt { (\frac{dx}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dy}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dz}{dt})^2}\,.dt[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
First, no, [itex]x^2+ z^2= 1[/itex] does NOT describe a circle in the x-z plane. That would be if y= 0 but since there is no y in the equation, y can be anything. The equation describes a circular cylinder with axis along the y axis. Similarly, [itex]y= x^2[/itex] is a parabolic cylinder extending along the z-direction. In general, a single equation in three dimensions describes a surface, not a curve.

Of course, the intersection of those two surfaces is a curve. With [itex]x^2+ z^2= 1[/itex] and [itex]y= x^2[/itex], we can immediately see that [itex]y+ z^2= 1[/itex] of [itex]y= 1- z^2[/itex].

So we could use z itself as parameter though in that case we would have to do it as two separate integrals:
1) [itex]x= \sqrt{1- t^2}[/itex], [itex]y= 1- t^2[/itex], [itex]z= t[/itex] and
2) [itex]x= -\sqrt{1- t^2}[/itex], [itex]y= 1- t^2[/itex], [itex]z= t[/itex]

It might be better to use the "standard" circle parameterization:
[itex]x= cos(t)[/itex], [itex]y= 1- sin^2(t)[/itex], [itex]z= sin(t)[/itex].

Thanks for the quick reply :)

It sure did lighten it up a lot. I see that i have misunderstood what geometric figure the functions describe. What I meant by a circle in the x-z plane was, that the projection of the function to the x-z plane, would give show a circle.

Anyway so now it's just rewriting it to "standard" circle parameterization, aka Polar coordinates? And calculate the rest of the integral frmo there.

Yes, that's correct.

Well, I've been working on this problem, and it's not as simple as it looks:
[tex]ds=\sqrt{2-4\sin \theta \cos \theta + 4 \sin ^2 \theta \cos ^2 \theta + \cos ^2 \theta}\,.d\theta[/tex]
So, the line integral becomes:
[tex]\int^{\theta = 2\pi}_{\theta = 0} \sqrt{1+ 4 \sin ^2 \theta \cos ^2 \theta}.\sqrt{2-4\sin \theta \cos \theta + 4 \sin ^2 \theta \cos ^2 \theta + \cos ^2 \theta}\,.d\theta[/tex]
Is that correct?

Related to Calculating the Line Integral for the Intersection of Two Surfaces

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the area under a curve or the work done by a vector field along a specific path.

What is the purpose of calculating a line integral?

The purpose of calculating a line integral is to quantify the change in a scalar or vector quantity along a specific path. This can be useful in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you first need to determine the parametric equations for the given path. Then, you plug these equations into the integral formula and solve for the desired quantity. This can be done using various integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics, such as calculating the work done by a force over a certain distance or the flow of a fluid through a pipe. They are also used in engineering to calculate the force needed to move an object along a specific path, and in economics to determine the cost of producing a good along a certain production line.

What is the difference between a line integral and a surface integral?

A line integral is calculated along a one-dimensional path, while a surface integral is calculated over a two-dimensional surface. In other words, a line integral is a special case of a surface integral, where the surface is a path in the xy-plane.