Calculating the line element after a change of coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses a particular set of coordinates on a surface embedded in ##\mathbb{R}^3## and finding the line element on that surface. The equation for the line element is given and the form of ##f(\zeta,\eta)## is requested. The attempt at a solution involves computing ##d\eta^2+d\zeta^2## and rearranging differentials, but the poster feels like they may be overthinking the problem and is looking for tips.
Holty

Homework Statement

[/B]
Consider ##\mathbb{R}^3## in standard Cartesian co-ordinates, and the surface ##S^2## embedded within it defined by ##(x^2+y^2+z^2)|_{S^2}=1##. A particular set of co-ords on ##S^2## are defined by

##\zeta = \frac{x}{z-1}##,
##\eta = \frac{y}{z-1}##.

Express ##1+\zeta^2+\eta^2## in terms of ##z##. By evaluating ##d\zeta## and ##d\eta##, show that the line element on ##S^2## is given by

##ds^2|_{S^2}=(dx^2+dy^2+dz^2)|_{S^2} = \frac{d\zeta^2+d\eta^2}{f(\zeta,\eta)}## (1),

where you should give the form of ##f(\zeta,\eta)##

2. Homework Equations

##1+\zeta^2+\eta^2=\frac{z^2+y^2}{(z-1)^2}+1=\frac{-2}{z-1}##
##d\zeta=\frac{dx}{z-1}-\frac{xdz}{(z-1)^2}## , ##d\eta=\frac{dy}{z-1}-\frac{ydz}{(z-1)^2}##

##d\eta^2 + d\zeta^2= \frac{dx^2}{(z-1)^2} +\frac{x^2dz^2}{(z-1)^4}-\frac{2xdxdz}{(z-1)^3}+\frac{dy^2}{(z-1)^2} +\frac{y^2dz^2}{(z-1)^4}-\frac{2ydydz}{(z-1)^3}## (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So far I have been able to do the first two parts fine (the first two equations under 'Relevant equations'), the part I'm struggling with is trying to prove equation (1). So far I have tried computing ##d\eta^2+d\zeta^2##, which is equation 2 above, as well as rearranging the differentials and trying ##dx^2+dy^2##, but I feel like this is the wrong approach.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or can see what to do? I feel like I'm over thinking and over complicating the problem, or they may be something I'm missing.

This is my first post, hopefully I've put it in the right place. And thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I just noticed a typo, it should be ##1+\zeta^2+\eta^2=\frac{x^2+y^2}{(z-1)^2}+1=\frac{-2}{z-1}##. This does not affect the question.

Related to Calculating the line element after a change of coordinates

1. What is the line element in mathematics?

The line element, also known as the differential length element, is a mathematical concept used in the study of calculus and differential geometry. It represents an infinitesimal change in length along a curve or surface and is often denoted by ds.

2. How is the line element related to change of coordinates?

When changing coordinates in a given space, the line element also changes accordingly. This is because the line element is dependent on the metric tensor, which is affected by the choice of coordinates. Therefore, it is necessary to calculate the line element after a change of coordinates in order to accurately describe geometric properties of the space.

3. What is the formula for calculating the line element after a change of coordinates?

The formula for calculating the line element after a change of coordinates is given by ds^2 = g_ij(dx^i)(dx^j), where g_ij is the metric tensor and dx^i and dx^j represent the differentials of the chosen coordinates.

4. What is the significance of calculating the line element after a change of coordinates?

Calculating the line element after a change of coordinates is important for accurately describing the geometry of a space. It allows for a better understanding of quantities such as distance, angle, and curvature, and is essential in many areas of mathematics and physics, including general relativity and differential geometry.

5. Are there any specific techniques for calculating the line element after a change of coordinates?

Yes, there are various techniques for calculating the line element after a change of coordinates, depending on the specific space and coordinate system. Some commonly used methods include the Jacobian matrix and Christoffel symbols. It is also important to pay attention to the chosen coordinate system and ensure that it is appropriate for the given space and calculation.