Calculating the Laplace Transform of t^2*u(t-a)

In summary, the problem is to find the Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a), given that u(t-a) is the Heaviside step function. The initial attempt was to substitute (t-a) for t^2, but this is incorrect. The correct approach is to use the definition of the Laplace transform and integrate from a to infinity.
mm391

Homework Statement

I am trying to work out the inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been old that it starts

(t-a)^2*u(t-a)... which I understand is substituting for (t-a). But I cannot seem to work out the rest can someone please help or explain. This isn't homework or coursework just a problem the lecturer failed to explain properly.

Physics news on Phys.org
u(t-a) is the "Heaviside step function"? Then it is 0 for t< a so the Laplace transform is just
[tex]\int_a^\infty e^{-st}t^2 dt[/tex].

[itex]t^2u(t-a)[/itex] is NOT the same as [itex](t- a)^2u(t- a)[/itex]- that should be obvious- it is NOT "substituting for t- a". Substituting, say, x for t- a would mean that t= x+ a so you would have [itex](x+ a)^2u(x)[/tex]. You could as well use t for the variable, [itex](t+a)^2u(t)[/tex] but obviously if you substitute for t- a you are not going to still have t- a inside u. Making that substitution would make the integral
[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-st}(t+ a)^2dt[/tex]
which will give the same result as before.

mm391 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to work out the inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been old that it starts

(t-a)^2*u(t-a)... which I understand is substituting for (t-a). But I cannot seem to work out the rest can someone please help or explain. This isn't homework or coursework just a problem the lecturer failed to explain properly.

I don't know why you describe it as the inverse LT; what you want is the LT itself. Anyway, why not just use the definition
[tex] \cal{L}[u(t-a) t^2](s) = \int_{a}^{\infty} e^{-st} t^2 \, dt?[/tex]

Related to Calculating the Laplace Transform of t^2*u(t-a)

1. What is the Inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a)?

The Inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a) is given by (t-a)^2*e^(as).

2. How is the Inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a) derived?

The Inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a) is derived by using the Laplace transform table and the time-shifting property of the Laplace transform.

3. What is the significance of the "a" in t^2*u(t-a)?

The "a" in t^2*u(t-a) represents the time delay, indicating that the function is zero for t < a and non-zero for t ≥ a.

4. Can the Inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a) be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the Inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a) can be used in engineering and physics applications to model systems with time delays, such as electronic circuits and control systems.

5. Is there a general formula for the Inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a)?

No, there is not a general formula for the Inverse Laplace transform of t^2*u(t-a). The formula depends on the specific function and time delay involved, and it must be derived using the Laplace transform properties.