Calculating the Height of a Leaning Tree using Trigonometry - Geometry Help

• Thread starter MayQueen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, a tree that is leaning 14 degrees from the vertical casts a 40 foot shadow on the ground. The angle from the shadow to the top of the tree is 60 degrees above the horizon. Using the sine rule, the length of the tree is calculated to be approximately 49.8677 feet.
MayQueen
Geometry HELP! PLEASE!

Homework Statement

A tree is leaning 14 degrees from the vertical. The tree casts a 40 foot shadow on the flat ground. The line from the trees shadow to the top of tree creates a 60 degree angle above the horizontal. I need to find the length of the tree.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything, i know of but I am stuck. I tried using trig but that only gave the lenghts for the outside of the right triangle the tree divides. I need help desperately!

Attachments

• geometry.png
    geometry.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The question seems to be missing...you might also want to draw a diagram.

Ok , I am sorry I didnt realize , that i was the only one with the picture in front of me :) Here you go.

Do you know the sine rule?

No, can you explain to to me?

If you have a textbook, you should probably read through that. The link expresses the rule concisely:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/geomath/trignb/trig11.html

So to use the sine rule i don't need a right triangle?

No, it can be applied to any triangle.

Im sorry that above question is rather stupid. However based on that explanation from the link, I don't understand this part :

That gives c=2sin(105o)/sin(30o)
which is 4sin(105o).

We can write sin(105o) as sin(150o-45o) then use the sin(A-B) rule to write this as
sin(150o)cos(45o)-cos(150o)sin(45o)
Im confused as to why we can write the above statement. Does it change the answer?

The two answers you get are equivalent, since you applied the identity to sin(105)

4sin(105o)=4( sin(150o)cos(45o)-cos(150o)sin(45o) )

Ok Great! then according to my calculations the length of the tree is 49.8677 ft

MayQueen said:
Ok Great! then according to my calculations the length of the tree is 49.8677 ft

If when you drew your diagram, you made the 60 degree angle something like 60 degrees, rather than only 30 - 35 degrees, you would get some feedback from the diagram. [Notice that the angle you have marked as 44 appears BIGGER than the angle you have marked 60; it is even bigger than the angle you have marked 136]

Since the shadow is 40' long, if your calculation is correct the "tree" should appear longer. [in a perfect scale diagram, the tree would be close to 125% the length of the shadow]

If you are going to draw a diagram, at least make it close to the real thing - just so you get a pictorial indication that your calculation is correct.

Peter

Related to Calculating the Height of a Leaning Tree using Trigonometry - Geometry Help

1. How do I measure the height of a leaning tree using trigonometry?

To calculate the height of a leaning tree using trigonometry, you will need to use the principles of right angle trigonometry. First, stand at a distance from the tree and measure the distance from the base to the top of the tree. Then, using a clinometer or a protractor, measure the angle from the ground to the top of the tree. With these two measurements, you can use the tangent function to calculate the height of the tree.

2. What is the importance of using trigonometry to calculate the height of a leaning tree?

Trigonometry is important in calculating the height of a leaning tree because it allows for accurate measurements without having to physically climb the tree or use complicated equipment. It also takes into account the angle of the tree, which may affect its perceived height.

3. Can I use any type of clinometer or protractor to measure the angle of the tree?

While any type of clinometer or protractor may give you a general idea of the angle, it is recommended to use a specialized forestry clinometer or inclinometer for more accurate measurements. These tools are specifically designed for measuring the angle of trees and other tall objects.

4. What if the tree is on uneven ground or has multiple leaning points?

If the tree is on uneven ground or has multiple leaning points, it may be more challenging to accurately measure the height using trigonometry. In this case, it may be helpful to take multiple measurements from different angles and average them out to get a more precise estimate of the tree's height.

5. Is it possible to calculate the height of a leaning tree without using trigonometry?

While it is possible to estimate the height of a leaning tree using other methods, such as measuring the shadow of the tree or using a measuring tape, these methods may not be as accurate as using trigonometry. Trigonometry takes into account the angle of the tree, which can greatly affect its perceived height. Therefore, it is recommended to use trigonometry for more precise measurements.