Calculating the Heat of Fusion for Water: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the conversation involved a lab where ice was added to warm water and the temperature was recorded. The question asked was how to estimate the heat of fusion of water assuming that the paper cup was a good insulator and no heat energy was lost. The conversation discussed using the equations Q=mc/\T and Q=mL to calculate the heat gained by the water and the heat lost by the ice. Ultimately, the conversation ended with the suggestion to use the conservation of energy equation to calculate the total energy lost by the original water.
mlostrac
Hello again,

I did a lab where ice was added to 150 mL of warm water and the temperature was observed and recorded. (The mass of the ice was not important; but after it all melted the total volume of the water in the cup was 218 mL)

Here's the question I have, "Assuming that the paper cup is a good insulator and that no heat energy was lost to the outside environment, estimate the heat of fusion of water. Note that part of the heat energy was absorbed by the melted ice to raise its temperature from 0°C
to the final temperature. "

How would I go about doing this? Is it just Q = mL = 0.150 kg x 333 KJ/kg ?

Here's what I tried:

If I find the heat lost by the water using the "Q=mc/\T" equation I get 20 kJ for "Q".

Then using Q=mL,
I get L = 20kJ/0.15kg =133 kJ/kg

Does that look right, based on what they are asking? Since the actual heat of fusion is 333 kJ/kg, my experimental data must be off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then using Q=mL,
I get L = 20kJ/0.15kg =133 kJ/kg
Is it really 0.15kg? Or some other value?

I'm not sure? I put that based on the idea that I started with 150mL of water and since water's density is 1g/mL, 150 grams or .150 kg

Is that not right?

mlostrac said:
I'm not sure? I put that based on the idea that I started with 150mL of water and since water's density is 1g/mL, 150 grams or .150 kg

Is that not right?

The "m" you should be using should be that of the ice instead of the water?
Also, you appear to have neglected the heat gained by the melted ice.

Oook, I think I need the mass of the ice to determine this don't I? Since the final volume was 218 mL, I subtracted that from the initial volume of 150mL to give me 68 mL. Then since water's density is 1g/mL, I used .068kg for the above equation and came out with a value of 294 kJ/kg for L.

Is that correct?

Fightfish said:
The "m" you should be using should be that of the ice instead of the water?
Also, you appear to have neglected the heat gained by the melted ice.

Do I need that? And what calculation do I need for that? Is it Q = mc(delta)T?

mlostrac said:
Do I need that? And what calculation do I need for that? Is it Q = mc(delta)T?
Yes. The melted ice doesn't stay at 0°C, it gets heated up till the equilibrium temperature. (Besides, the question explicitly reminded "Note that part of the heat energy was absorbed by the melted ice to raise its temperature from 0°C to the final temperature" :p)
Yup, same equation, but just take note of the values.

Q = mc/\T = 0.068kg x 0.5 x (0-7.1) = -0.24 kcal x 4.186 kJ/kcal = -1.01kJ

Does that say that the ice lost 1.01 kJ? Should I subtract that value from the 294 value?

The melted ice lost heat?!
Basically, energy lost by original water = energy used to melt ice + energy used to heat melted ice. Use that equation (essentially conservation of energy) to compute. Why would you mix energy with specific latent heat of fusion?

Fightfish said:
The melted ice lost heat?!
Basically, energy lost by original water = energy used to melt ice + energy used to heat melted ice. Use that equation (essentially conservation of energy) to compute. Why would you mix energy with specific latent heat of fusion?

I know, it doesn't make sense! Lol.

Well I originally calculated the heat lost by the water using (Q = mc/\T)
Q = 150g x 1.00 cal/g-C x (39.6 - 7.1) = 4875 cals
Q = 20 kJ

So, 20kJ = mc/\T + mL ?? And everything right of the equal sign are the values for ice (ie: mass= 68 g, c = 0.5 cal/g-C, T1 = 0 degrees Celsius, T2 = 7.1 degrees Celsius)?

This question seems like it should be easy; or am I just stupid? lol

Related to Calculating the Heat of Fusion for Water: A Scientific Approach

1. What is the heat of fusion for water?

The heat of fusion for water refers to the amount of energy required to change one gram of water from its solid state (ice) to its liquid state at its melting point, while maintaining the same temperature.

2. What is the unit of measurement for heat of fusion for water?

The unit of measurement for heat of fusion is joules per gram (J/g).

3. How does heat of fusion for water differ from other substances?

The heat of fusion for water is significantly higher than most other substances, meaning it requires more energy to melt ice compared to other solids. This is due to hydrogen bonds between water molecules, which are stronger than the intermolecular forces found in other substances.

4. Why is the heat of fusion for water important to understand?

The heat of fusion for water plays a crucial role in many natural processes, such as the formation of ice and snow, and the regulation of Earth's climate. It is also important in industries such as food preservation and refrigeration.

5. How does the heat of fusion for water affect the Earth's climate?

The high heat of fusion for water allows large bodies of water, such as oceans and lakes, to absorb and store a significant amount of heat without experiencing a significant change in temperature. This helps regulate the Earth's climate, preventing extreme temperature fluctuations and maintaining a stable environment for living organisms.