Calculating the force of friction on an object

In summary, the force of friction on the object being pulled along a horizontal surface by a 200 N rope at a 30° angle is 173 N.
purplecows

Homework Statement

A 40.0-kg object is being pulled along a horizontal surface by means of a rope that exerts a force of 200 N at an angle of 30° below the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the object and the surface is 0.40. The force of friction on the object is:
A) 197 N
B) 173 N
C) 392 N
D) 157 N

Homework Equations

µ_s = F_s/ F_n

The Attempt at a Solution

f37784cfe70a77271ef546fefc925dc8.png

So I got 197 N, which was A. However, the answer was B on the answer sheet. What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean 'coefficient of dynamic friction'.

Your drawing is hard to decipher.

hi purplecows! welcome to pf! :wink:
purplecows said:
So I got 197 N, which was A.

so do i :smile:

(are you ok on your other thread?)

The answer is B and it's correct.

There are a lot of red herrings in this problem! I fell for the "static friction" coefficient myself.

The force is already given, so things like friction coefficients and mass are irrelevant.

Likes 1 person

Your attempt at a solution is correct. The answer should be A, 197 N. It is possible that there was a mistake on the answer sheet or a typo. It is always important to double check your work and calculations, but in this case, your answer is correct.

Related to Calculating the force of friction on an object

1. What is the formula for calculating the force of friction?

The formula for calculating the force of friction is F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How do you determine the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. It can also be found by conducting experiments and measuring the force of friction for different surfaces and objects.

3. What factors affect the force of friction on an object?

The force of friction on an object is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of those surfaces, the weight of the object, and the normal force applied to the object.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the force of friction on an object?

The angle of incline can affect the force of friction on an object by increasing or decreasing the normal force applied to the object. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a decrease in the force of friction.

5. Can the force of friction ever be greater than the applied force?

No, the force of friction can never be greater than the applied force. The force of friction is always equal to or less than the applied force, as long as the object is not in motion.