Calculating the explosive yield of an atomic bomb

In summary: However, I am not sure where to start. It would be nice to know where I could find reliable data on the yields of different nuclear weapons.Thank you gneill. Never thought of a comparison at the molecular level, nor a comparison between nuclear binding energy and electron binding energy.
hoelmkjaer

Homework Statement

I'm writing a paper on the Manhattan Project, and as part of this paper I am asked to show:
"... calculations that can help illustrate the explosive power of an atomic bomb compared to ordinary explosives."

Homework Equations

Released energy per fission:
Q = [tex]\Delta[/tex]m * c2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I know how to do this. I just need to find a reliable source (e.g. not wikipedia) and find out how many fissions actually happened in the first atomic bombs (Little Boy and Fat Man), then multiply that amount by Q. Just want to make sure this is the proper way to do this. I figured I'd look up the yield for TNT, too, and then compare the energy released by the atomic bomb to an amount of TNT with equivalent energy.
Does anyone know where I might be able to find the amount of uranium, maybe even the enrichment level of it, used in Little Boy, and the same specifications for Fat man, along with the amount of each substance actually converted into energy during the explosion?

Thanks in advance
- Hoelmkjaer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows anything?
This is killing me... Has anyone got an idea? how I could illustrate the yield of a nuclear bomb compared to conventional explosives?

hoelmkjaer said:
No one knows anything?
This is killing me... Has anyone got an idea? how I could illustrate the yield of a nuclear bomb compared to conventional explosives?

Compare the magnitude of the nuclear binding energy (per nucleon) with the typical binding energy of electrons. That is, the energy involved in nuclear reactions versus that involved in chemical reactions. Tables of binding energies are readily available for the elements.

Next look at the tabulated values for the energies for a specific fission. For example, the kinetic energy imparted to the fission products of plutonium (about 176 MeV per event) versus the energy released by a typical high explosive chemical reaction (this will involve a whole molecule per event -- so you can compare the energy released per unit of mass of the "reactants"). Semtex (Pentaerythritol tetranitrate) releases about 5810 kJ/kg.

Thank you gneill. Never thought of a comparison at the molecular level, nor a comparison between nuclear binding energy and electron binding energy.

I recon I should be able show off some satisfactory calculations with this

I would first like to commend your approach to finding reliable sources and comparing the energy released by an atomic bomb to that of ordinary explosives. This is an important aspect of understanding the destructive power of nuclear weapons.

To answer your question, the amount of uranium used in Little Boy was approximately 64 kg, with an enrichment level of 80%. The amount of plutonium used in Fat Man was about 6.2 kg, with an enrichment level of 89%. These numbers may vary slightly depending on the source, but they should give you a good estimate for your calculations.

In terms of the number of fissions that occurred in the bombs, it is estimated that Little Boy had around 140 fissions and Fat Man had around 500 fissions. Multiplying these numbers by the energy released per fission (Q) will give you an estimate of the total energy released by each bomb.

To compare this to the explosive power of TNT, you can use the equation for the energy released by TNT, which is 4.184 kJ per gram. So for example, if we take the estimated energy released by Little Boy (140 fissions * Q), which is approximately 15 kilotons of TNT equivalent, and convert it to grams, it would be equivalent to about 3.6 million grams of TNT.

It is important to note that these calculations are estimates and may vary depending on the exact specifications of the bombs and the energy released per fission. However, they provide a good understanding of the immense destructive power of nuclear weapons compared to ordinary explosives.

Related to Calculating the explosive yield of an atomic bomb

1. How is the explosive yield of an atomic bomb calculated?

The explosive yield of an atomic bomb is calculated by using the formula E=mc^2. This formula was developed by Albert Einstein and it represents the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). By knowing the mass of the bomb and the speed of light, we can calculate the energy released during the explosion, which is the explosive yield.

2. What factors affect the explosive yield of an atomic bomb?

Several factors can affect the explosive yield of an atomic bomb, including the type and amount of fissile material used, the design and construction of the bomb, and the efficiency of the detonation process. Environmental factors, such as air pressure and temperature, can also play a role in the yield of the explosion.

3. How accurate are calculations of the explosive yield of an atomic bomb?

The calculations of the explosive yield of an atomic bomb are extremely accurate. These calculations rely on scientific principles and mathematical equations that have been extensively tested and verified. However, there can be variations in the actual yield due to external factors and the complexity of the detonation process.

4. Can the explosive yield of an atomic bomb be increased or decreased?

Yes, the explosive yield of an atomic bomb can be increased or decreased by adjusting the design and construction of the bomb, as well as the amount and type of fissile material used. Scientists and engineers can also manipulate the detonation process to control the yield of the explosion.

5. Is the explosive yield of an atomic bomb the same as its destructive power?

The explosive yield of an atomic bomb is not the same as its destructive power. Destructive power also depends on other factors such as the target and the location of the explosion. The explosive yield is only one aspect of a bomb's destructive potential.