Calculating Highway Truck Length for Nuclear Bomb Yield

In summary, the energy released by nuclear bombs is measured in kiloton (kt) or megaton (Mt) units. One kiloton is 4.2×1012 joules. The yield of fission bombs is typically between 10 and 500 kilotons, the yield of fusion bombs is between 1 and 50 megatons. Calculate the length of a single line of large highway trucks carrying a 74.0 kt load. The capacitity of one truck is 28.0 t, the length of one truck is 15.0 m. The spacing between the trucks is 21.0 m.
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

The energy released by nuclear bombs is measured in kiloton (kt) or megaton (Mt) units. One kiloton is a unit of energy released by 1000 tons of trinitrotoluene (TNT). One kiloton is 4.2×1012 joules. The yield of fission bombs is typically between 10 and 500 kilotons, the yield of fusion bombs is between 1 and 50 megatons. Calculate the length of a single line of large highway trucks carrying a 74.0 kt load. The capacitity of one truck is 28.0 t, the length of one truck is 15.0 m. The spacing between the trucks is 21.0 m.

The Attempt at a Solution

So i divided 74000 tons by 28 tons to get 2642.857 trucks then multiplied by the length of one truck to get 39642.857 then added (21*(2642.857-2)) to get the spacing included, i subracted two because there is no spacing before the first truck and none after the last truck. but this is incorrect what did i do wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you thinking of the spacing? Before each truck or after it? Not both.

well there would be spacing between every truck except the first and last truck

How would there be 0.857 of a truck? I would guess they want you to round up, since you can't have a partial truck.

True I was just keeping it into be more exact because the question is asking for how many trucks but how long the convoy is.

kraigandrews said:

Homework Statement

The energy released by nuclear bombs is measured in kiloton (kt) or megaton (Mt) units. One kiloton is a unit of energy released by 1000 tons of trinitrotoluene (TNT). One kiloton is 4.2×1012 joules. The yield of fission bombs is typically between 10 and 500 kilotons, the yield of fusion bombs is between 1 and 50 megatons. Calculate the length of a single line of large highway trucks carrying a 74.0 kt load. The capacitity of one truck is 28.0 t, the length of one truck is 15.0 m. The spacing between the trucks is 21.0 m.

The Attempt at a Solution

So i divided 74000 tons by 28 tons to get 2642.857 trucks then multiplied by the length of one truck to get 39642.857 then added (21*(2642.857-2)) to get the spacing included, i subracted two because there is no spacing before the first truck and none after the last truck. but this is incorrect what did i do wrong

Your length of trucks is correct - though should be rounded up to2643 trucks.

kiven you are expressing to 3 figure precision only 39.6 km of truck covers the round off anyway.
since the "spacing" is even longer than a truck - the line of trucks will be over 90 km long.
What was the answer you were given?

Nevermind I got it but thanks for the help.

Related to Calculating Highway Truck Length for Nuclear Bomb Yield

1. What determines the yield of a nuclear bomb?

The yield of a nuclear bomb is determined by the amount of fissile material used in the bomb, as well as the design and efficiency of the bomb's detonation system.

2. How is the yield of a nuclear bomb measured?

The yield of a nuclear bomb is measured in terms of kilotons (kt) or megatons (mt), which represent the amount of energy released by the bomb's explosion. One kiloton is equivalent to the explosive force of 1,000 tons of TNT.

3. What is the average yield of a modern nuclear bomb?

The average yield of a modern nuclear bomb is around 300 kilotons (kt), but this can vary greatly depending on the specific design and purpose of the bomb. Some bombs have yields in the single digit kilotons while others have yields in the hundreds of kilotons.

4. Can the yield of a nuclear bomb be controlled?

Yes, the yield of a nuclear bomb can be controlled through the amount and type of fissile material used, as well as the design and detonation mechanisms of the bomb. This allows for a range of yields to be achieved, depending on the desired outcome of the explosion.

5. What is the maximum potential yield of a nuclear bomb?

The maximum potential yield of a nuclear bomb is theoretically limitless, as it depends on the amount of fissile material that can be used in the bomb. However, the largest nuclear bomb ever detonated had a yield of 50 megatons (mt).