Calculating the Equation of a Plane Perpendicular to a Given Line

In summary, the equation for the plane that passes through the point (2,-1,3) and is perpendicular to the line v=(1,-2,2)+t(3,-2,4) can be found by using the direction vector of the line as the normal vector for the plane and calculating the equation using a point in the plane.
daynat18
Equation for plane that passes through the point (2,-1,3) and is perpendicular to the linev=(1,-2,2)+t(3,-2,4)?

I'm not exactly sure where I'm supposed to go since the only examples in my book show the plane perpendicular to a vector written in a different form. Not in this one

Physics news on Phys.org
If a line is given in the form (x0, y0, z0[/sub])+ t(A, B, C) then Ai+ Bj+ Ck is a vector pointing in the direction of the line. Is that enough?

So is it supposed to be that I can find the plane based on simply that vector since any of the normal vectors would be orthogonal to the plane?

daynat18 said:
So is it supposed to be that I can find the plane based on simply that vector since any of the normal vectors would be orthogonal to the plane?

Well the normal will be perpendicular to the plane, but so is the line v. So wouldn't the normal to the plane be given by the direction of the line v? Given the normal to the plane and a point in the plane, you should be able to calculate the equation of the plane.

Related to Calculating the Equation of a Plane Perpendicular to a Given Line

1. What is Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector-valued functions and their derivatives and integrals. It involves the use of vectors to analyze and solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. What are some common applications of Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus is used in a wide range of applications, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, computer graphics, and optimization problems. It is also used in the study of motion, forces, and work in physics.

3. What are some basic concepts in Vector Calculus?

Some basic concepts in Vector Calculus include vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication, as well as vector functions, dot product, cross product, and vector calculus theorems such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Divergence Theorem.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve Vector Calculus problems?

Some common techniques used to solve Vector Calculus problems include finding derivatives and integrals of vector functions, using vector identities and theorems, and applying geometric and algebraic properties of vectors. It is also important to have a strong understanding of coordinate systems and vector notation.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Vector Calculus?

To improve your understanding of Vector Calculus, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to review key concepts and theorems. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can be beneficial. It is also important to have a solid foundation in calculus and linear algebra before diving into Vector Calculus.