Calculating the energy in a part of a rollercoaster

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem where the formula for energy is being used to find the solution. However, there is confusion about the correct answer due to the missing information of the mass of the object. The conversation also mentions seeking help from a teacher and potentially starting a thread in the homework section for further assistance.
lamefeed
Hi(This thread might have been posted in the wrong section of the forum although this isn't a homework problem, just something I do because I like physics!), I've been trying to figure out how to solve this problem for a few hours, but whatever I do it seems to give me the wrong answer.

Scale?geometry=300x300.jpg

h(1)= 50m
v= 0.5 m/s

## E = E_k + E_p ##
Which gives me this formula
## E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgh ##
After this I remove the mass since it's not been given in the task, and I'm left with:
## E = \frac{1}{2}v^2+ gh ##
When I fill in the numbers I get this:
## E = \frac{1}{2}0.5^2 + 9.81*50 = 490 J ##

But I'm supposed to get 49 J ?!

Can't get any help from my teacher until tomorrow so would be lovely if some of you could tell me where I took a wrong turn(If I made a mistake)!

Cheers,
Lamefeed

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lamefeed said:
After this I remove the mass since it's not been given in the task...

Something is wrong with the problem statement, because you need the mass. A grain of sand at the top of a 50 meter ramp represents a lot less potential energy than a brick at the top of the same ramp. You answer would be right if the cart had a mass of 1 kg, the book would be right if it had a mass of .1 kg, and yes, if you want more help with this problem you should start a thread in the homework section.

This thread is closed; OP will restart in the HW section if necessary.

Related to Calculating the energy in a part of a rollercoaster

What is the formula for calculating the energy in a part of a rollercoaster?

The formula for calculating the energy in a part of a rollercoaster is E = mgh, where E is the energy in joules, m is the mass in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height in meters.

What units are used for the energy calculation in a rollercoaster?

The units used for the energy calculation in a rollercoaster are joules (J).

How does the height of a rollercoaster affect its energy?

The higher the rollercoaster, the greater the potential energy it has. This is because potential energy is directly proportional to the height. Therefore, the higher the rollercoaster, the more energy it will have at the top of its peak.

Can the mass of the rollercoaster affect its energy?

Yes, the mass of the rollercoaster does affect its energy. The greater the mass, the greater the energy, as energy is directly proportional to mass. In other words, a rollercoaster with a heavier train will have more energy compared to a rollercoaster with a lighter train.

Is there a difference in energy calculations for different parts of a rollercoaster?

Yes, there can be a difference in energy calculations for different parts of a rollercoaster. For example, at the top of a hill, the rollercoaster will have maximum potential energy. As it goes down the hill, this potential energy will be converted to kinetic energy. At the bottom of the hill, the rollercoaster will have minimum potential energy and maximum kinetic energy. Therefore, the energy calculations will be different for each part of the rollercoaster.