Mechanical energy in situation 1 of the cart

In summary, the conversation was about trying to solve a problem involving the mechanical energy in a roller coaster cart. The formula used was E = E_k + E_p, which was simplified to E = 1/2mv^2 + mgh and then further simplified to E = 1/2v^2 + gh. However, the questioner made a mistake by removing the mass from the equation without realizing that it is a necessary parameter. The conversation also discussed the importance of working with units and how it would have made the mistake obvious. The mass was not given in the problem and therefore could not be calculated. The conversation concluded that it is impossible to predict the mass with only the given information of velocity and height. It was
lamefeed
Hi, I've been trying to figure out how to solve this problem for a few hours, but whatever I do it seems to give me the wrong answer.

Scale?geometry=300x300.jpg

Problem statement:
Fetch data from the roller coaster model. Ignore friction. What is the mechanical energy in cart in situation 1?

## E = E_k + E_p ##
Which gives me this formula
## E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgh ##
After this I remove the mass since it's not been given in the task, and I'm left with:
## E = \frac{1}{2}v^2+ gh ##
When I fill in the numbers I get this:
## E = \frac{1}{2}0.5^2 + 9.81*50 = 490 J ##But I'm supposed to get 49 J ?!

Can't get any help from my teacher until tomorrow so would be lovely if some of you could tell me where I took a wrong turn(If I made a mistake)!

Cheers,
Lamefeed

Physics news on Phys.org
It is advisable to work with units, then the mistake would have been obvious as your units do not match.
You cannot "remove" a mass. The energy will depend on the mass, and if you do not know the mass it will stay as unknown parameter in the result.

If you are supposed to get 49 J then a mass of about 0.1 kg has to be given somewhere.

mfb said:
It is advisable to work with units, then the mistake would have been obvious as your units do not match.
You cannot "remove" a mass. The energy will depend on the mass, and if you do not know the mass it will stay as unknown parameter in the result.

If you are supposed to get 49 J then a mass of about 0.1 kg has to be given somewhere.
The mass is unknown. Can I by any stretch of the imagination get the mass? when I only know the velocity and the height?

Last edited:
No. I am 0.5 m above the ground, moving with a velocity of 0 m/s relative to it. What is my mass?

Is there some previous problem discussing a roller coaster where a mass might have been given?

Hehe, I get your point it's impossible to predict the mass with the velocity and height (:

This was the first task based on roller coasters, the next question was asking about the speed of the cart in situation 2..
This is a badly designed problem i guess..

Could be.

You can calculate the speed without knowing the mass, but not the kinetic energy in Joules.

I tried to do so but I ended up with ~19 m/s when the speed should have been 24 m/s. It was done without knowing that the mass should have been 0.1kg

The mass cancels in the calculation of the speed.
24.3 m/s is correct, how did you get 19?

that might have been a mistake on my end.

forgot to multiply by 2 in every part when I "made" up the formula.

Pardon my English as it's not my first language.

Related to Mechanical energy in situation 1 of the cart

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion or position. It is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is mechanical energy related to situation 1 of the cart?

In situation 1, the cart is at rest, so it has no kinetic energy. However, it still has potential energy due to its position on the track. This potential energy is a form of mechanical energy.

3. Can mechanical energy change in situation 1?

Yes, mechanical energy can change in situation 1. If an external force is applied to the cart, it can gain kinetic energy and its potential energy may decrease.

4. What factors affect the amount of mechanical energy in situation 1?

The amount of mechanical energy in situation 1 is affected by the mass of the cart, its height above the ground, and the force acting on it. Additionally, friction and air resistance can also play a role in changing the amount of mechanical energy.

5. How is mechanical energy conserved in situation 1?

In situation 1, mechanical energy is conserved as long as there is no external force acting on the cart. This means that the total amount of kinetic and potential energy remains constant. However, if there is friction or air resistance present, some of the mechanical energy may be converted into other forms of energy such as heat or sound.