Calculating tension in rotational kinematics

In summary, the problem involves a block revolving on a frictionless surface with a string being pulled to decrease the radius of the circle. The tension in the string can be calculated using the formula T = (m*v1^2*r1^2)/r^3.
alco19357

Homework Statement

A block with mass m is revolving with linear speed v1 in a circle of radius r1 on a frictionless horizontal surface (see the figure ). The string is slowly pulled from below until the radius of the circle in which the block is revolving is reduced to r2.

Calculate the tension T in the string as a function of r, the distance of the block from the hole. Your answer will be in terms of the initial velocity v1 and the radius r1.

Homework Equations

I really have no idea. I'm going to assume it involves conservation of angular momentum: L = r X mv

The Attempt at a Solution

L1 = r1 * m * v1
L2 = r * m * v2

L1 = L2
r1 * m * v1 = r * m *v2
r1 * v1 = r * v2

Now I'm stuck

Thank you for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, using T = (mv^2) / r, and setting L1 = L2, I found v to be (v1*r1) / r

Plugged that into the tension and found T = (m*v1^2*r1^2)/r^3

Related to Calculating tension in rotational kinematics

1. How do you calculate tension in rotational kinematics?

To calculate tension in rotational kinematics, you will need to use the formula T = Iα, where T is the tension, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. You will also need to know the radius of the rotating object and the mass of the object.

2. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the object and how it is distributed about the axis of rotation. A larger moment of inertia means that it will be harder to change the object's rotational motion.

3. Can tension be negative in rotational kinematics?

No, tension cannot be negative in rotational kinematics. It is a force that is always directed away from the center of rotation, and thus it will always have a positive value.

4. What is the difference between linear and rotational kinematics?

Linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects around an axis of rotation. In linear kinematics, the equations involve distance, velocity, and acceleration, while in rotational kinematics, the equations involve angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

5. How does tension affect rotational motion?

Tension is a force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. When tension is applied, it creates a torque on the object, which causes it to rotate. The magnitude of the tension will affect the rotational motion, as a larger tension will result in a larger torque and therefore a greater angular acceleration.