Calculating Tension in a Vertical Acceleration Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a physics problem and seeking advice. The problem involves determining the tension in a rope needed to accelerate a car vertically upward at a certain rate. The equation F=ma is mentioned and the student is advised to draw a picture, label known values, and solve the problem using this equation. The conversation also highlights the importance of paying attention in class to understand fundamental concepts.
roxysoxy14
I have managed to get the worst teacher in the world for my AP Physics class. I was wondering how to do this problem:
How much tension must a rope withstand if it is used to accelerate a 1400 kg car vertically upward at 0.70 m/s2?
I really have no idea how to start it...:redface: But hopefully someone can give me a clue.

Merci!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the equation F=ma mean to you? How would you apply it to this problem?

Always start by drawing a picture and labeling everything you know. Try to solve it and then we will discuss it.

In a PM to me you wrote:
roxysoxy14 said:
my teacher has talked about the equation F=ma. I've tried it and i get 980N. But I'm not sure what to do with that number. I've used my textbook to try and clarify it a bit. It hasn't helped...
How much does a 1700kg car weigh? That is the first component in the tension in the rope. The 2nd component is the extra acceleration of the car upward (over and above the acceleration of gravity g). How much extra force (F=ma) does it take to produce that acceleration of the car upwards? Now add the two components to get the total tension in the rope. And be sure to pay attention in your upcoming classes. This stuff is fundamental.

Related to Calculating Tension in a Vertical Acceleration Problem

1. What is tension in AP Physics and how is it calculated?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. In AP Physics, tension is typically calculated using the equation T=mg+ma, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

2. How is tension different from other types of forces?

Tension is a type of contact force that acts in a straight line along the length of a string or rope. It is different from other types of forces, such as gravity or friction, which act on an object regardless of its shape or position.

3. Can the tension force ever be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, the tension force can be greater than the weight of an object if there are additional forces acting on the object, such as an external force pushing or pulling on it. In this case, the tension will be greater than the weight and the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

4. How does tension affect the motion of an object?

Tension can either accelerate or decelerate the motion of an object depending on the direction of the net force. If the tension force is greater than the weight of the object, it will accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the tension force is less than the weight, it will decelerate in the direction opposite the net force.

5. How can I use the concept of tension to solve problems in AP Physics?

Tension is an important concept in AP Physics and is often used to solve problems involving objects connected by strings or ropes. To solve tension problems, it is important to draw a free body diagram of the object, identify all the forces acting on it, and use the equations of motion and Newton's laws to find the tension force and other unknown variables.