Calculating Tension and Speed in a Centripetal Force Problem

• Thread starter kengreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centripetal
In summary, the airplane flies in a horizontal circle at the end of a string that is at an angle 10.5 degrees below the horizontal. The tension in the string is estimated to be 47.1 newtons.
kengreen

Homework Statement

A model airplane whose mass is 875 grams flies in a horizontal circle of radius 3.46 m at the end of a string which is at an angle 10.5 degrees below the horizontal. Find:

a) the tension in the string
b) the speed of the airplane

Homework Equations

Fc=T=mv^2/r Ac=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

im not sure if i am given enough information to solve this problem because i don't have the acceleration or velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
You have.I think you could try to analyze the forces to their components and make a relation between the vertical component of tension and the weight.

I hope i helped

i think the vertical component of tension has to cancel the weight? am i correct in where i a m going with this.

yeah that's very good that's the idea

I am sorry i misguide you.Vertical component of tension cannot cancel the weight because they are both pointing down unless i misunderstood the picture.could yuo please draw me an image of the ecxercise?

if this is the case then what i told you is correct.That should be the case bacouse otherwise it would drop

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 321
okay well i have the answer to the first question because i talked to my professor but i just don't understand how this is the answer. he said that it is 47.1 N.

Could you draw me the excercise please?

there is no picture. its just a word problem. the thing that is throwing me off is that in the problem it states that the end of the string is at an angle 10.5 degrees below the horizontal.

If the draw is the one i made you then it is correct the 47.1.Approximatelly.Tsin10.5=Mg

I donnot know it should say above or else it could not be possible to rotate it would fall.ask your teacher about it

thank you very much

I donnot think i helped you very much but ok thanks

Related to Calculating Tension and Speed in a Centripetal Force Problem

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, always directed towards the center of the circle.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = m*v^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some examples of centripetal force in everyday life?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the force that keeps a car moving around a curve, the force that keeps a satellite in orbit around the Earth, and the force that keeps water inside a spinning bucket.

Is centripetal force a real force?

Yes, centripetal force is a real force. It is a result of other forces, such as gravity or tension, acting on an object to keep it moving in a curved path.

How does centripetal force relate to centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are often confused, but they are not the same thing. Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that is felt by an object moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of inertia.