Calculating Temperature Change for Steel Rod Stretching

N, causing it to elongate. Using Young's modulus, I found the change in length to be delta X. I then plugged this into the equation for linear expansion, using the average coefficient of thermal expansion for steel and the initial length, which is unknown. How can I find or substitute for the initial length? In summary, a steel rod undergoes a stretching force of 500N and its cross-sectional area is 2cm^2. Using Young's modulus, the change in length is calculated, and this value is plugged into the equation for linear expansion with the average coefficient of thermal expansion for steel. However, the initial length is unknown and needs to be found or substituted for
parttime
a steel rod undergoes a streching force of 500n its crossectional area is 2cm^2 find the temp change that would elongate the rod by same amount
i useyoungs modulus to get change in length so ym= (F/A)/(deltaX/h)
so i solve for r (which is = to h from area of circle) and with a ym for steel of 20*10^10 i get delta X now i plug that into equation for linear
which is deltaX = (average coeffiecent of linear expation for steel) = 11*10^-6 Linitial(which is what is giving me problems) *delta T (temp)
i am not given the initial length how am i supposed to come up with it or substitute it for some other value??

Physics news on Phys.org
parttime said:
i useyoungs modulus to get change in length so ym= (F/A)/(deltaX/h)
so i solve for r (which is = to h from area of circle)
What is r? h should be the length of the rod. When you do the thermal expansion, the length drops out.

AM

Last edited:

I understand the importance of accurate and complete data in any scientific calculation. In this case, it seems that the initial length of the steel rod is missing, which is crucial in determining the temperature change that would elongate the rod by the same amount as the stretching force of 500N.

Without the initial length, it is not possible to accurately calculate the temperature change using the given information. I would recommend obtaining the initial length of the steel rod through further experimentation or by consulting previous data.

Additionally, I would suggest considering the potential sources of error in the calculation and ways to mitigate them. For example, the Young's modulus for steel may vary depending on the specific type of steel and its properties. Therefore, using a more precise value for the Young's modulus could improve the accuracy of the calculation.

In conclusion, while the equation and approach used for calculating the temperature change are correct, the missing initial length of the steel rod makes it difficult to provide a definitive answer. Obtaining this missing information or considering potential sources of error can help improve the accuracy and reliability of the calculation.

Related to Calculating Temperature Change for Steel Rod Stretching

1. How do I calculate the change in temperature for a steel rod when stretching it?

To calculate the change in temperature for a steel rod when stretching, you will need to use the equation ΔT = T2 - T1, where ΔT represents the change in temperature, T2 is the final temperature of the rod, and T1 is the initial temperature of the rod. You will also need to know the coefficient of thermal expansion for steel, which is typically around 11 x 10^-6 /°C. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the equation to calculate the temperature change.

2. Does the length of the steel rod affect the change in temperature when stretching?

Yes, the length of the steel rod does affect the change in temperature when stretching. The longer the rod, the greater the change in temperature will be. This is because a longer rod has a larger surface area, which means more molecules will be affected by the stretching and therefore experience a larger change in temperature.

3. How does the material of the rod affect the change in temperature when stretching?

The material of the rod does affect the change in temperature when stretching. Different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, which means they will experience different temperature changes when stretched. For example, steel has a coefficient of thermal expansion of 11 x 10^-6 /°C, while aluminum has a coefficient of thermal expansion of 22 x 10^-6 /°C. This means that an aluminum rod will experience a greater change in temperature when stretched compared to a steel rod of the same length.

4. Can I use the same equation to calculate the change in temperature for any type of material when stretching?

No, you cannot use the same equation to calculate the change in temperature for any type of material when stretching. As mentioned before, different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, so you will need to use a different equation for each type of material. It is important to research and find the specific coefficient of thermal expansion for the material you are working with in order to accurately calculate the change in temperature when stretching.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the change in temperature when stretching a steel rod?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the change in temperature when stretching a steel rod. These include the initial temperature of the rod, the rate at which the stretching occurs, and the force applied during stretching. These factors can all impact the change in temperature and should be taken into consideration when calculating the temperature change for a steel rod stretching experiment.