Calculating Surface Integral with Stokes' Theorem on a Cube?

In summary, to calculate the surface integral using Stokes' theorem, you must find the line integral around the boundary of the surface. This means integrating around the four edges of the missing back, not the bottom. Alternatively, you can find the unit normal vector for each of the five faces and integrate them separately.
reb659

Homework Statement

I have to use stokes' theorem and calculate the surface integral, where the function F = <xy,2yz,3zx> and the surface is the cube bounded by the points (2,0,0), (0,2,0),(0,0,2),(0,2,2),(2,0,2),(2,2,0),(2,2,2). The back side of the cube is open.
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the curlF = <-2y,-3z,-x>.

I know next I have to find a unit normal vector. But exactly which side of the cube am I supposed to find the normal vector to? Or would I HAVE to take the line integrals for the bottom side of the cube?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand correctly, you want to calculate

Int{F.dA}

I think that divergence theorem could be useful

Int{F.dA} = Int{(div F)dV}

where "div F" is gradient operator (Del) dotted with F.

Stokes/curl theorem helps if you need

Int{F.dl}

then you use

Int{F.dl} = Int{(curl F).dA}

and now "curl F" is cross product of Del and F.

Since the back side is open I think that either you need to do each of five sides in turn or maybe do the whole cube with divergence theorem and then subtract the integral over the back side from it.

---

Last edited by a moderator:
reb659 said:

Homework Statement

I have to use stokes' theorem and calculate the surface integral, where the function F = <xy,2yz,3zx> and the surface is the cube bounded by the points (2,0,0), (0,2,0),(0,0,2),(0,2,2),(2,0,2),(2,2,0),(2,2,2). The back side of the cube is open.
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the curlF = <-2y,-3z,-x>.

I know next I have to find a unit normal vector. But exactly which side of the cube am I supposed to find the normal vector to? Or would I HAVE to take the line integrals for the bottom side of the cube?
You don't find the normal vector to any side. To use Stokes theorem you find the line integral around the boundary of the surface. Here that means around the four edges of the missing back, not bottom.

If you did want to do this by integrating over the surface, you would find the unit normal vector of all of the five faces and integrate each one separately.

Ahh I get it now. Thanks!

Related to Calculating Surface Integral with Stokes' Theorem on a Cube?

1. What is Stokes theorem over a cube?

Stokes theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface. When applied to a cube, it states that the total flux of a vector field through the six faces of the cube is equal to the line integral of the same vector field around the edges of the cube.

2. How is Stokes theorem over a cube derived?

Stokes theorem is derived from the more general Stokes theorem, which relates the surface integral of a vector field over any closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface. To apply it to a cube, we break down the cube into six flat surfaces and use the more general theorem to calculate the flux through each surface. Then, we add up the results to get the total flux through the cube.

3. What is the significance of Stokes theorem over a cube?

Stokes theorem over a cube is significant because it allows us to easily calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface, which is a common problem in physics and engineering. It also provides a link between surface integrals and line integrals, allowing us to solve problems using either approach.

4. What are the limitations of Stokes theorem over a cube?

One limitation of Stokes theorem over a cube is that it can only be applied to closed surfaces that can be broken down into six flat surfaces. It also assumes that the vector field is continuously differentiable within the region enclosed by the cube. Additionally, it only applies to three-dimensional vector fields, not higher dimensions.

5. How is Stokes theorem over a cube used in real-world applications?

Stokes theorem over a cube is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the flow of fluids through pipes and channels, determining the circulation of a magnetic field around a closed loop, and finding the work done by a force on a moving object. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics and engineering.