Calculating Surface Area and Volume of 6-Way PVC Pipe - Quick and Easy Guide

• Thread starter MrMumbleX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe
In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of finding the surface area and volume of a PVC pipe with a specific radius and thickness. The suggested approach is to use methods from three semesters of calculus and potentially also look into geometry. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using CAD software for an approximate answer. The field of mathematics involved is most likely calculus.
MrMumbleX
http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-6-ways
Problem: Find the surface area (internal and external) and volume of that (the 6 ways PVC pipe in the link) if the radius of the cavity is .5 cm, the inside of the pipe is completely smooth, and the thickness of the pipes is .05 cm.

I AM NOT ASKING FOR THE ANSWER. HELP BY ANSWERING THE BELOW QUESTIONS:
What field of mathematics (I'm assuming study of the solids of Charles Proteus and integral calculus) should I research in order to solve this problem? Is it a difficult, or long problem? How should I approach this problem? I have no idea as of how to approach this problem. HELP PLEASE!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maybe not what you want to hear, but I would say 3 semesters of calculus might get you to where you could set up and solve that problem.

I think that one would be somewhat more difficult but still the same type of problem.

I'm curious why you are asking this. Do you really care what the volume is? Are you going to study calculus for a year and a half to solve the problem if you can? As a practical matter, if you want the actual volume of those objects you could physically measure the amount of water they displace.

[Edit] Here's a link I found with Google: http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/3925217

Last edited:
The question was supposed to be my 20 page term paper for math research. One last question, would finding the volume and surface area of this be difficult, and what field of mathematics is involved? Calculus still?
http://www.puzzleworld.org/puzzleworld/puz/hexagonal_prism.htm

MrMumbleX said:
The question was supposed to be my 20 page term paper for math research. One last question, would finding the volume and surface area of this be difficult, and what field of mathematics is involved? Calculus still?
http://www.puzzleworld.org/puzzleworld/puz/hexagonal_prism.htm

Yes. Probably methods from the third semester of calculus.

Could geometry be used to solve for the volume and surface area of that?

I don't know. One of the links I saw said Archimedes had worked out the volume of one of the solids. That was before calculus was invented. Also, Archimedes was smarter than the average bear.

LCKurtz said:
Also, Archimedes was smarter than the average bear.

Heck, probably even smarter than your average human!

I'm assuming you want an exact calculated number, but if you simply want the answer, I'd model this in Solidworks or similar 3D CAD software and it will give the answers to many decimal places...

Related to Calculating Surface Area and Volume of 6-Way PVC Pipe - Quick and Easy Guide

1. What is the "Pipe Problem"?

The "Pipe Problem" refers to a common issue in fluid mechanics where a pipe becomes clogged or restricted, causing a decrease in flow rate or even a complete blockage.

2. What causes the "Pipe Problem"?

The "Pipe Problem" can be caused by a variety of factors including accumulation of debris or sediment, corrosion, or damage to the pipe itself.

3. How can the "Pipe Problem" be prevented?

The "Pipe Problem" can be prevented by regularly maintaining and cleaning pipes, using corrosion-resistant materials, and being mindful of what is being flushed or disposed of through pipes.

4. What are the consequences of the "Pipe Problem"?

The consequences of the "Pipe Problem" can range from inconvenience and decreased efficiency to more serious issues such as sewage backups or water damage to buildings.

5. How is the "Pipe Problem" resolved?

The resolution of the "Pipe Problem" depends on the cause and severity of the issue. In some cases, simple cleaning or repairs may suffice, while in more severe cases, replacement of the pipe may be necessary.