Calculating STEVE's Height from Two Photos 370km Apart

In summary, two photographers were able to capture a STEVE event from different locations and are now trying to calculate its height using the information from both pictures. STEVE is a purplish colored skyglow event that is usually seen while auroras are present, but is unrelated to them. The acronym STEVE stands for Strong Thermal Emission Velocity Enhancement. One photographer enhanced a picture to show the purplish color, but another photographer believes it to be a normal aurora. The original photographer has confirmed that this is indeed a STEVE event and it was observed for almost an hour by multiple people.
Thanx Tom. Good to know. We'll see what we can do.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My concern is how you will be able to determine the angle above the horizon. You won't be able to calculate altitude without that.

I suspect that you'll need
1] a shot with the horizon (or other object with known angle) in the pic with the phenomenon
2] EXIF data from your camera that will include such things as focal length setting for the shot

Although, I suppose you could always reference any visible star formations in the shot. Coupled with time and date, that would do the trick. Yeah.

I was able to use starry night software and astrometry.net to find the star formations and the altitude of Beta Sextantis using the timestamp and location of Paul Smith at the time of the photo.
Timestamp = April 10, 2018 at 1am
Altitude of Beta Sextantis = 22 deg
Location of the camera = Latitude = 54.937806 N Longitude = -112.510886 W

Attachments

• steve_astrometry_labeled.jpg
    steve_astrometry_labeled.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
astroscout said:
I was able to use starry night software and astrometry.net to find the star formations and the altitude of Beta Sextantis using the timestamp and location of Paul Smith at the time of the photo.
Timestamp = April 10, 2018 at 1am
Altitude of Beta Sextantis = 22 deg
Location of the camera = Latitude = 54.937806 N Longitude = -112.510886 W
OK, can you do the same with the other one?

Paul has not been able to contact the other photographer yet. Hopefully he will. If he can't, can the info I found be enough to get an approximation?

astroscout said:
Paul has not been able to contact the other photographer yet. Hopefully he will. If he can't, can the info I found be enough to get an approximation?
No.

I mean, no better than simply checking the general understanding of STEVE altitude. If you want to add to the body of knowledge, you'll need that other photo.

You know, that photographer is surely not the only one who took pics of that particular event. Looking around the webernets, you could probably gather quite a few photos and correlate them all.

Wait. You mean you found another photo in addition to the photographer's? Then yes. If you can find the location and date/time of the other photo.

Likes Tom.G
We will continue to try to contact the other photographer and get the info needed. Thanks Dave.

astroscout said:
Please guys...Lets focus on what is needed to calculate the height of the purple arc. If he were to get the angle using stellarium, can we calculate the height or do we need the info from the second photographer?

Do we know the STEVE (or the aurora) is radiating the same in all directions. Rainbows make a counter example. Someone else sees violet in the section where you see red. The red photons you see are coming from water droplets over a deep range. Two photos of a rainbow would not accurately tell you where a squall line was located.

Plasmasphere cools and contracts on Earth's night side, leading to radially inward current flows, if I understand correctly

1388_287_59.jpg

https://wiki.oulu.fi/download/attachments/5243547/plasmasphere.gif

https://wiki.oulu.fi/display/SpaceWiki/Plasmasphere

Out beyond the Plasmasphere, where the plasma is tenuous and relatively warm, whistler-mode waves create primarily rising chirps, like a flock of noisy birds. This type of wave is called chorus and is created when electrons are pushed towards the night side of Earth... When these low energy electrons hit the plasma, they interact with particles in the plasma, imparting their energy and creating a unique rising tone.https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2017/1-nasalistensi.jpg

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-nasa-electrons.html

Attachments

• 1388_287_59.jpg
    1388_287_59.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Likes Klystron
"The ring current (e.g., Frank, 1967) consists of geomagnetically trapped 10 - 200 keV ions (mainly H+, He+, and O+) and electrons that drift azimuthally around the Earth at radial distances of about 2-7 Re (Earth radii), overlapping the radiation belt region. The drift is a combined curvature and gradient drift which is eastward for electrons and westward for ions, i.e., the direction of the current is westward ."

https://wiki.oulu.fi/display/SpaceWiki/Ring+current

Here is the photo taken by the other photographer, Savoie. Looks like he didn't get the top of the arc like Paul did so I guess we are out of Luck in trying to figure out the height of it. Any Suggestions?

Attachments

• steve_savoie_dipper.jpg
    steve_savoie_dipper.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 291
astroscout said:
Here is the photo taken by the other photographer, Savoie. Looks like he didn't get the top of the arc like Paul did so I guess we are out of Luck in trying to figure out the height of it. Any Suggestions?
If it were possible to identify common elements of each, you should be OK.

But - it's also possible that STEVE's change fast enough that, even if they were taken less than a minute apart, they would have no common elements.

Unfortunately, the implication that is that the boundary of the phenomenon - including its maximum height - is ever-changing.

And that means any attempt to triangulate its height would be little better than a vague estimation.

Thanx Dave. The only common elements is the picket fence that comes and goes in their videos. I'll see if I can find anything in STEVE.

astroscout said:
Were you able to get any time/location alt/azimuth and direction info on this one?

I just got the location which is: Lat = 49.709387 N Long = -112.866389 W in Lethbridge, Canada. I still do not know the timestamp of the video taken by Ryan Savoie. We are still waiting for him to give us the info.

Those location numbers give you about a 360+ mile (580+ km) baseline, which is several times the expected altitude of Steve. Looks like the accuracy will be limited by how accurately you can determine the camera elevation angle and the avoidance of any time scintillation of Steve.

OK, here's what I get:
map 1.jpg

So, total distance 583.81km (looks like you meant 370 miles).

PIC S (Savoie)
PIC S.jpg

Angle of Polestar = latitude of observer.
So angle of polestar in pic S is 47.71

I picked the top of that group of spikes as a reference point.
It is 82% of the height of the polestar, which would make it an angle of 39.12 degrees (82% of 47.71).

PIC P (Paul Smith)

PIC P2.jpg

Angle here is a given of 22 degrees.

I assume here that I have the same reference point as in PIC S - a whopping assumption.

This gives the following geometry:

geometry.png

I used this handy calculator: to arrive at a height of 157.37km

This gives an altitude of that bit of aurora of 157.4km.

PIC2.jpg

As to what that means in relation to the altitude of STEVE, do with it what you will.

Attachments

• PIC2.jpg
    PIC2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 721
  • PIC P2.jpg
    PIC P2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 649
  • geometry.png
    geometry.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 726
  • map 1.jpg
    map 1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 678
  • PIC S.jpg
    PIC S.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 677
Likes stefan r, astroscout, Klystron and 1 other person
Nice Work Dave. STEVE is known to be an Ionospheric phenomenon so the fact that the results came out to over 100Km is a good thing because the Ionosphere is above 100km. I know you had to make assumptions, but at least we are in the ballpark. If I get any more info from Ryan Savoie, I will let you know. Thanks.

I am wondering if this could be refined a little more.
I'm comparing the two images for similar structures, but I think they're not pointed at the same place.

Looking North, the green spikes are off the the left (West).

Looking South, the spikes are also off to the left.
If they are the same spikes, then the South-looking pic is not looking due South, but more like Southwest (so that the spikes are on the left side of the pic).
PIC.jpg

I'm not good with Alt and Azimuth. Is it possible someone could identify due south in the top pic?

Attachments

• PIC.jpg
    PIC.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 384
Likes astroscout
I'm also realizing that my clumsy attempts at measuring angles is egregiously flawed.
Both pictures are very wide angle - you can see how the aurora is distorted into an arc in both pictures. If that arc were physical - as opposed to an optical distortion - they could not both be accurate. So my geometry will likely be way off.

Your are right about Paul facing southwest instead of south. The azimuth for the reference star Beta Sextantis is 233 deg. South would be 180 deg azimuth and west would be 270 deg azimuth so the 233 deg azimuth would mean somewhere between south and west.

I just found out from Paul that Bea Gallardo-Lacourt, the scientist who wrote the recent paper on STEVE, is in contact with Paul. Paul relayed your calculation of 157.4 Km to her and she says that using their instruments they were close to that result at about 170 Km. Paul is still looking for more photos and gathering as much data as he can to help you guys with the calculations.

Attachments

• lacort_message.jpg
    lacort_message.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 291
Likes Klystron
Thanks for the fascinating discussion. I am trying to gather more images - which shouldn't be too hard to do. Someone by Airdrie ( almost half way between myself and Ryan) captured some nice images looking almost straight up on that night. Also waiting to see what her timestamp and precise locations were. I observed Steve for almost 1 hour that morning and the position didn't seem to change that much. I would be really interested to get a general size of those picket fence features . Must be many tens of kms

I just got an email from Bea Gallardo-Lacourt indicating that William Archer will review what we have done here and contribute what he can.

Dave. Here is another photo thanks to Paul's efforts at the Alberta Aurora Chasers Facebook group. This one is from Siv Heang Tav. She stated the she was just east of Airdrie, Canada. The location I used for the altitude of polaris is just an approximation because I don't have her exact gps location.

PS : I made a mistake in the earlier photos I sent you with the dates. I used May 10th instead of April 10th so the 22 deg for Beta Sextantis should be 21.5 deg.

Attachments

• steve_siv_heang_tav_labeled.jpg
    steve_siv_heang_tav_labeled.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 332
astroscout said:
Paul relayed your calculation of 157.4 Km to her and she says that using their instruments they were close to that result at about 170 Km.
That makes perfect sense. As I mentioned, I did not actually calculate the height of of STEVE per se, I calculated the height of one of the blobs in the pic. I don't really know what part of the pics are STEVE. They could be tens of kms higher.

Actually, this is a much clearer pic.

I believe that STEVE is the blue/purple arc above the green pickets, yes?
steve_siv_heang_tav_labeled-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• steve_siv_heang_tav_labeled-jpg.jpg
    steve_siv_heang_tav_labeled-jpg.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 497
Likes Klystron
Yes Dave, that is STEVE.

Hi guys I have some over the arch of Steve hope it help, but it was around 1:39AM.

Attachments

• IMG_20181223_100707.jpg
    IMG_20181223_100707.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 377
Likes astroscout
Hi all,

My name is Bill Archer and I am a space physics researcher currently working on Steve. One of the questions I am trying to answer is exactly what you folks are working on here, using more or less the same approach as in this thread.

I’m not sure how much I can really contribute, as the logic of what you are doing is sound and everyone is stating clearly the assumptions they are making. I will be excited to link my calculations on this forum once I have them written up properly.

I can’t fully express how great it to see people interested in the field that I work in, asking and answering the same questions that I am working on.

Likes astroscout, Drakkith and DaveC426913
Welcome Bill.

Likes astroscout
Welcome Bill. Here is how Dave came up with the 157.4 Km. I Think it looks better if you go back to page 3 in this thread because the original post looks better than this "Quoted" post.

DaveC426913 said:
OK, here's what I get:
View attachment 236194

So, total distance 583.81km (looks like you meant 370 miles).

PIC S (Savoie)
View attachment 236195
Angle of Polestar = latitude of observer.
So angle of polestar in pic S is 47.71

I picked the top of that group of spikes as a reference point.
It is 82% of the height of the polestar, which would make it an angle of 39.12 degrees (82% of 47.71).

PIC P (Paul Smith)

View attachment 236190
Angle here is a given of 22 degrees.

I assume here that I have the same reference point as in PIC S - a whopping assumption.

This gives the following geometry:

View attachment 236193

I used this handy calculator: to arrive at a height of 157.37km

This gives an altitude of that bit of aurora of 157.4km.

View attachment 236189

As to what that means in relation to the altitude of STEVE, do with it what you will.

Siv Heang Tav... That is a nice capture. Can you post your GPS location for the photos you took that evening?

Is 1:09 in this video the same phenomena?

Stefan r...I checked with Paul and he says it isn't. Would be Cool if the ISS were to capture STEVE. Maybe they have and no one has noticed.