Calculating Sliding Force for Vacuum Chamber Lid | Design Problem

In summary, the problem is to design a sliding lid for a chamber with a vacuum that sucks the lid down. The lid needs to be opened using a piston and cylinder with a force less than the vacuum force. The lid is in contact with a ring of teflon and there will be 6 chambers joined together. The calculations show a suction force of 168N per chamber and a sliding force of 101N. The final step in finding the cylinder diameter was incorrect, with the correct calculation giving a diameter of 17.9mm.
hellbent345

Homework Statement

This is not a homework question, but rather a design problem that has been reduced to a simple problem by me.
We have a chamber with a diameter of 46mm with a sliding lid. The chamber has a vacuum (assumed negligible pressure) which sucks the lid down. The lid is required to slide off using the force from a piston and cylinder using the vacuum of the chamber itself (in actual fact it needs to be slightly less than the force required to slide, so that the final opening can be provided by a further application of force). So we need to find the force exherted by the vacuum on the sliding lid, then the static friction from the sliding of the lid, and finally use that to spec the cylinder used to help opening the lid. The lid is only in contact with a ring of teflon (0.1 coef. static friction against the polised steel lid) of ID 46, OD 50 (although, does that matter?) Also, there will be 6 of these chambers with the lids all joined, so the suction force is greater, but will the friction be greater? If my calculations are right, probably not...

Homework Equations

deltaP=F/A, Fmax = coef. static friction x normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

We have a suction force of 168N per chamber, from deltaP * A = F and deltaP is assumed to be 101000Pa, therefore 101000 * (pi*0.0232) =168N
Overall force is then, 6*168N = 1007N
Sliding force required = coef. static friction * Normal force,
Sliding F reqd. = 0.1 * 1007 = 101N

So therefore, rearranging deltaP = F/A and assuming deltaP is again 101000Pa we arrived at a cylinder diameter of 1.26mm - this seems very small, and hard to make!

Hope you can help

Alan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alan, it seems you got everything right until the last step in finding the radius given the area!

r = sqrt(A/pi)

I got r = 17.9mm using your figures and A = F/deltaP

ahh yes I can see my problem now! Ran through the calculation at the end again and I must have continually forgotten to square root! I now get the same
Thanks for the help
Alan

Related to Calculating Sliding Force for Vacuum Chamber Lid | Design Problem

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion or tendency for motion between two surfaces in contact.

2. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which occurs between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other; kinetic friction, which occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other; and rolling friction, which occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, meaning it can slow down or stop motion. It also converts kinetic energy into heat, which can further reduce the motion of objects.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces depends on the type of surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. Friction increases with rougher surfaces, greater force pressing the surfaces together, and greater surface area in contact.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Smooth and polished surfaces can also reduce the amount of friction. In some cases, adding wheels or rollers can also decrease friction by changing the type of friction from static to rolling.