How do I calculate the minimum force needed to prevent sliding due to friction?

• Thread starter silvashadow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation is about determining the minimum horizontal force P needed to keep a small cube from sliding downwards while being accelerated by a larger cube on a frictionless surface. The coefficient of static friction between the two cubes is 0.71 and the weight of the small cube is 39.2N. The conversation includes equations and hints for solving the problem, as well as a discussion about the purpose of asking questions. The final answer is determined to be a force of 400.2N.
silvashadow

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a large cube (m=25kg) being accelerated across a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force P. A small cube (m=4kg) is in contact with the fron surface of the large cube and will slide downward unless P is sufficiently large. The coefficient of static friction between the cubes is 0.71. What is the smallest magnitude that P can have in order to keep the small cube from sliding downwardsI know that the weight of the small cube is 39.2N. I also know that Fn is in the same direction as P. Past that, I'm confused. I have a equation: F=u*Fn, which is friction is equal to coef. of friction times normal force.

Can someone explain to me what to do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
11 views, 12 hours and no help... guess you guys can help me or even tell me what else I need to put down...

Hints

On the small block, mass m, the downward force will be due to gravity mg.
The upward force will be due to friction and a normal force from the acceleration uma.
In order for the block not to fall uma=mg where u = 0.71
Once you have solved for a, ask yourself how much force it takes to give that much a to the whole system.
Tom

Ok. I have W of 4kg = 39.2N. In order for the block to not fall, friction has to be 39.2N.

mg=uma
4*9.8=.71*ma
39.2=.71*ma
ma=Fn=55.2N.

Where do I go from there? Can you at least tell me what m is supposed to be: 4kg or 25kg object?

How much mass are you pushing?

I am pushing 4kg to the right. Is that correct?

silvashadow said:
11 views, 12 hours and no help... guess you guys can help me or even tell me what else I need to put down...
we're not here to please you, be patient

With what are you pushing the 4kg?

You guys have been great. I've gotten help from my teacher and some fellow classmates. Guess this place just isn't good for those who seek help.

Personally, I already know how to do the problem. I ask questions to try to guide you. Do you now understand the problem?

friction of 4kg = weight of 4kg
friction = uFn
Ff=mg=uma
mg=uma
g=ua
9.8=.71a
a=13.8

P=ma=(mass of big + mass of small)*13.8=400.2N

Related to How do I calculate the minimum force needed to prevent sliding due to friction?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities in the surfaces and the interlocking of the molecules.

2. Why is friction important?

Friction is important because it helps us to walk, grip objects, and slow down or stop moving objects. It also plays a crucial role in many everyday activities, such as driving, writing, and cooking.

3. How is friction measured?

Friction is measured by using a device called a tribometer, which measures the force required to move one surface over another. The unit of measurement for friction is called a Newton (N).

4. What factors affect friction?

Friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the smoothness of the surfaces. Additionally, the presence of lubricants or contaminants can also affect friction.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces in contact. Alternatively, using smoother surfaces or reducing the force between the surfaces can also decrease friction.